Alternator power

Keske944
Keske944 Posts: 134
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey all. Quick question for ya on weather or not I should get a more powerful alternator. My stock alt puts out 115 amps. I have not installed my system yet but this is what will be in it. A 6 channel amp with two 30 amp fuses and a class D amp with five 30 amp fuses. So right there I am looking at 210 amps. I am putting in two SVR batteries and wiring them in parallel so I will have 1200 CCA. I also have a three farad cap that I will wire both amps into. The six channel amp will be pushing three sets of the MM6's and putting 75w RMS to each channel (three sets six speakers 75 w RMS each speaker). The class D will be pushing two MM10's wired in parallel to the 1200w x1 @ 2 ohm. That way each MM10 will be getting around 600w RMS @ 4 ohms.

Will I be able to get by with my 115 amp alternator? Or will I need to get something larger? It is not easy to get HO alternators for a 1987 Porsche 944. If anyone knows where I could snag one of these please let me know. Or let me know if I sould be ok power wise.

Thanks
Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
Post edited by Keske944 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    i dont really know if youll be alright with your stock alternator or not
    i think you will since youll only be charging up to 1200 a
    but it would definitely help out
    you might even see a slight increase in speed too
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    you do the math and it comes out to...

1200 + 75 + 75 + 75 + 75 + 75 + 75 = 1650 watts rms.

(what follows is 'shady' but none the less pretty accurate math)

1650 / 13.8 volts = 119.5 ampheres --> 120 A.

your stock alt is 115... and you've got two batteries and a 3 farad cap...

for 5 amps i think you're absolutely wasting your time and money to get an aftermarket alt.

while aftermarket alts can do more power, you're also giving up the reliability and "tested and true" performance of a stock alt that you've had for a while.

I'll be you that your headlights wont dim, and you'll have just enough current to keep yoru car happy as long as you dont add anything else to the mix.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Keske944
    Keske944 Posts: 134
    edited March 2003
    I am not planning on adding anything to the mix except for maybe, and it's a big maybe, 3-5 neon tubes to accent some of the custom acrylic work that I am having done. That would be about it (oh and maybe a few dakota digital gauges). Thanks for the math PBD. I never knoew how to do that until now.
    Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    No prob Keske... its not an exact science because you loose a little power along the way, but its usually like 95% accurate...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge