NEW LED TVs

Options
eloplayspolo
eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
edited September 2009 in Electronics
Anyone here pony up the dough for a new LED screen? was in Fry's the other day and im pretty sure i pooped a little when i saw samsungs 240hz led next to their top of the line 120hz version.... JESUS

i swear whenever i look at a new tv technology i say "they cant make them look any better" now they make them 3mm thick and the picture is like looking thru a super clean window....

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644539854

WOW!
2013 Toyota Prius
Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
(2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
Mosconi 6to8 v8
Post edited by eloplayspolo on

Comments

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited August 2009
    Options
    FWIW, I've found TV's without 120hz or 240hz to look better. The higher refresh rates make things look artificial IMO. It's a neat effect, that wears off after a little while. It just doesn't look natural to me.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2009
    Options
    go look at the new LED... nobody in the world can possibly say that it looks subpar compared to another.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2009
    Options
    What am I missing? Its a non HD 11" TV for $2.5k? No matter how good it looks, the fam isn't going to huddle around to watch a movie.

As for the current backlit LEDs, I am not that impressed. I'm with Curt, they look very impressive when you first see them, but the novelty wears off quickly.
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited August 2009
    Options
    LOL, I can see it now movie night would be alot less fun with everybody huddled over an 11" screen. I'm sure the OLED's are top notch and will eventually rule all, but like Gaara said $2,500 for an 11" screen, these are gonna have to get ALOT bigger and ALOT less expensive before I pull the trigger. That is years away, in the meantime I was pretty impressed by the new backlight LED's, and would probably pull the trigger on one of those in the near future, but I am more than content with my Sony LCoS set for now.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited August 2009
    Options
    FWIW, I've found TV's without 120hz or 240hz to look better. The higher refresh rates make things look artificial IMO. It's a neat effect, that wears off after a little while. It just doesn't look natural to me.

Well put curt....I guess my Panny plasma will have to suffice for the forseable future.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited August 2009
    Options

Curt it only does it for certain movies and programs. For HD sports it doesn't do it. I watch all my movies and tv shows with the 120 hz mode off and I turn it on when watching sports.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited August 2009
    Options
    go look at the new LED... nobody in the world can possibly say that it looks subpar compared to another.

Are you talking about the LED Edge Lit displays...or the OLED's? If the OLED's...I've never seen them.

I've seen the edge lit screens...those look good, I was just referring to the refresh rates.
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Curt it only does it for certain movies and programs. For HD sports it doesn't do it. I watch all my movies and tv shows with the 120 hz mode off and I turn it on when watching sports.

I suppose I could see it being better for sports, as it's got a lot of faster paced across the screen action. It's a very rare occasion that I watch sports though...so that's not a selling point for me personally.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited August 2009
    Options
    With Samsung you can turn the 120hz/240hz off or it has three different settings low/med/hi.
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Once the LCD is calibrated it really looks good the 120hz feature is really decent on low. My friend calibrated my samsung 750 to isf specs and it is awesome. I almost bought a pioneer 5020 but I have no regrets my friend has a 5020 and DVD playback my samsung has the edge bluray they appear to be really close. The funky film look effect of the 120hz can be reduced by calibration and the end result is awesome.
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    With Samsung you can turn the 120hz/240hz off or it has three different settings low/med/hi.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited August 2009
    Options
    One of the biggest things the newer LCD screens have over the older ones is the response time...

the new top of the line Samsungs are down to 2ms... :cool:
  • apphd
    apphd Posts: 1,514
    edited August 2009
    Options
    LOL, I can see it now movie night would be alot less fun with everybody huddled over an 11" screen. I'm sure the OLED's are top notch and will eventually rule all, but like Gaara said $2,500 for an 11" screen, these are gonna have to get ALOT bigger and ALOT less expensive before I pull the trigger. That is years away, in the meantime I was pretty impressed by the new backlight LED's, and would probably pull the trigger on one of those in the near future, but I am more than content with my Sony LCoS set for now.

-Jeff

I remember our first TV, BIG box with about a 15" b&w tube, and yeh the family huddled around it. But that was about all that was available. Not sure how something at that price and size can compete against what's available in LCD and Plasma. I haven't seen any of them yet, I usually do not pay any attention to new leading edge tech when it comes out because I know it is about 5 years away from what I can afford.:D
  • eloplayspolo
    edited August 2009
    Options
    haha, the link to the 11" sony was just a link for peeps to see whats coming in the future, i saw it in the sony style store about a week ago and Dark Knight was on it with a blue ray.... u look at that thing and u wonder how the hell can it look like that and be that thin....

by christmas the OLEDs should be out in normal size according to a few sources. :) i cant wait! then that means i gotta wait about a year before i can buy one.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited August 2009
    Options
    apphd wrote: »
    I remember our first TV, BIG box with about a 15" b&w tube, and yeh the family huddled around it. But that was about all that was available. Not sure how something at that price and size can compete against what's available in LCD and Plasma. I haven't seen any of them yet, I usually do not pay any attention to new leading edge tech when it comes out because I know it is about 5 years away from what I can afford.:D

+1 on that. I am more than content with my Sony, and will be in the foreseeable future as well. I am not gonna drop down in screen size after ownng a 60", if anything I am going bigger on my next one. A 70" OLED?? Could you imagine the price tag on that?? LOL

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    One of the biggest things the newer LCD screens have over the older ones is the response time...

the new top of the line Samsungs are down to 2ms... :cool:

2ms response time would equal to 500Hz refresh rate. Will a human eye really be able to tell the difference, especially since movies are at 24Hz and highest broadcast is at 60Hz?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Sami wrote: »
    2ms response time would equal to 500Hz refresh rate. Will a human eye really be able to tell the difference, especially since movies are at 24Hz and highest broadcast is at 60Hz?

It's going to help with action and sports... No Picture breakdown, for me that's important.

However, with a $3200 price tag on the 46" Samsung it's too much $$$ for me now that I own a home. Once they drop in price I will most likely pull the trigger.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    It's going to help with action and sports... No Picture breakdown, for me that's important.

If the source is 60Hz at maximum, does it matter how fast you display it? Especially when human eye has its own limitations I am not so sure it will make that much difference. The new Samsung LED's do look amazing, I just am not sure if the frequency plays that much part in it.