SQ class: Mod Street or Modex

Thunderplains
Thunderplains Posts: 38
edited September 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have been paging thru the rules for MECA as I am working on system design.. So I am not quite sure what class i would be placed in..

My system interior would ALMOST remain stock, except for the location of the tweets (A pillar) as well as in the trunk, the rear seat facing and sides will be a combo of FG and MDF with accessability to the spare..

Thoughts?
Post edited by Thunderplains on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2009
    If youre using stock speaker locations except for ONE pair of tweeters 2" or smaller and youre not changing the interior of your car then you can be in Street which is the class Im in. If youre not using any outside processing you can be in Stock and if you meet Street qualifications, paid retail for your gear and this is your first year competing, you can be in Amateur.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thunderplains
    edited August 2009
    SO what if the tweets are mounted on the A-pillar and the truck (with accessability to the spare) is completely customized? Other, outside of the interior of the car, the tweets would the only Item "out of place" otherwise, the processor will be below the seat and out of sight.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2009
    Mac, if you need some help with any fabrication let me know. I've gotten to be pretty good at it. Also, I'm right down the road from you in Kennesaw, GA. and would like to meet up some time to have a bite and a beer and discuss car audio if you'd be interested.

don't mean to jack the thread here.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2009
    SO what if the tweets are mounted on the A-pillar and the truck (with accessability to the spare) is completely customized? Other, outside of the interior of the car, the tweets would the only Item "out of place" otherwise, the processor will be below the seat and out of sight.

You can mount a single pair of tweeters less than 2" in diameter anywhere in your car and still be Street. You can also customize the trunk a ton so long as its still a trunk and you can still use it.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thunderplains
    edited August 2009
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2009
    If youve never competed before and youre buying your gear retail and not getting hooked up then I suggest using a Street install and competing in Amateur.

Its meant for first time competitors to learn the ropes. Youre not judged on imaging, just tonality, dynamics and such so you dont have to learn everything at once. Thats the class I started in.

• Thunderplains
    edited September 2009
    Nope, never competed before.. Yes.. (..sigh..) bought my own gear..
    So street seems to be the path..

Also, how long, if that is the right word, does one remain amateur?
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2009
    Amateur is the name of the class. Its the lowest level class as its meant to be entry level for first time competitors so that you can learn the ropes and still have a shot at winning. Not too much fun your first year competing against seasoned vets.

You can be in Amateur for one season. After that you have to move up to Stock or better.