Alison Krauss SACD's

Options
snow
snow Posts: 4,335
edited August 2009 in Music & Movies
Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
Post edited by snow on

Comments

• dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 561
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Wow! Can you say it's time for a re-release? I have every one but "Live" on SACD. That one is in the vinyl collection. Her albums are probably my most listened to, with the High-res releases all being outstanding.
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I ended up selling my scratched(don't ask) copy of the Live SACD this spring. It went for $65 on ebay, and track #12 on the first disc wouldn't even play. I do miss the sound quality, but didn't get to listen to it much anyway...
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,961
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Such a sweet voice.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure if I've ever even heard Alison Krauss. I hear about her on here so much, I feel like I should have...

At those prices...I definitely won't be getting any of her SACD's anytime soon!:eek:
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,373
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure if I've ever even heard Alison Krauss.

Come on over and get your stuff:p:D and I'll put her in your lap.;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2009
    Options
    How about a few pictures boys?!?!?!?!?:D

Enjoy!

DianaKrall-1.jpg

DianaKrall.jpg

KianaKrall03.jpg
    Carl

• comfortablycurt
    edited August 2009
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Come on over and get your stuff:p:D and I'll put her in your lap.;)

Hmm...I might take you up on that.
    schwarcw wrote: »
    How about a few pictures boys?!?!?!?!?:D

Enjoy!

DianaKrall-1.jpg

DianaKrall.jpg

KianaKrall03.jpg

...Especially after seeing those pictures...:p;)
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,424
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Krauss, Krall--You say tomato, I say tomahto.

:)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • F1nut
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Carl, wrong lady!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• snow
    edited August 2009
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Krauss, Krall--You say tomato, I say tomahto.

:)
    You beat me to it lol.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • agfrost
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I picked up the Alison Krauss "Live" SACD for $10 a while back--Got it from some crazy Alaskan that I think was using it for an air-hockey puck. :D

Kind of a weird story about that disc--It won't play its SACD layer at all on my Marantz DV-9500 universal player, but is flawless on my cheapo Sony DVP-NS90V.

It's not due to any of the scratches on that disc--My buddy has a flawless copy that wouldn't play on the Marantz either. Just one disc that it doesn't like!

Curt, the redbook version is also well done, you should check her out and don't need to shell out $60-$150 to enjoy. Voice like an angel, fantastic band to back her.

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • snow
    edited August 2009
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    I picked up the Alison Krauss "Live" SACD for $10 a while back--Got it from some crazy Alaskan that I think was using it for an air-hockey puck. :D

Kind of a weird story about that disc--It won't play its SACD layer at all on my Marantz DV-9500 universal player, but is flawless on my cheapo Sony DVP-NS90V.

It's not due to any of the scratches on that disc--My buddy has a flawless copy that wouldn't play on the Marantz either. Just one disc that it doesn't like!

Curt, the redbook version is also well done, you should check her out and don't need to shell out $60-$150 to enjoy. Voice like an angel, fantastic band to back her.

Jay
    I have a very nice copy that I listen to and a sealed copy that I paid $65.00 for a while back that is going to remain sealed of Live and of course the music video version. The one you have Jay I would consider having the scratches polished out considering the prices of good used copys now :)

REGARDS SNOW
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I know how Carl feels about Diana, but he must be careful not to say her name when he is with Alison.:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Matt34
    Matt34 Posts: 318
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I got to see her live in tucson when I came back from iraq for r&r a couple years ago. It was for my wife's and I 10yr anniversery. Amazing voice and the band was just as good....just not as good looking.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Glad I pick up my SACD's a while ago. I have them all.

Nice looking women. Talented to boot.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Carl, wrong lady!

I just can't get Diana off my mind!

Also, I need to go to bed earlier. I force myself to read this stuff and post. I like it, but I just don't recignize when my brain has disconnected.:(:D

I'm such a f#ckup!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited August 2009
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I'm such a...

Ever since you took that new position, you have been working long hours with less free time. Don't be too hard on yourself.
  • snow
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Well I just bought another used copy in very good condition of the Live SACD for $64.09 shipped which I think was a good investment considering the prices lately.

Yeah I know im a greedy bastage :)

REGARDS SNOW
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2009
    Options
    snow nice grab, I am looking for another Live myself, it is kind of shame the price gouging that goes on, obviously there is a strong demand for SACD. The guy who wants 900 for the discs seems wacked but someone who wants them will likely bite.

I do not have New Favorite on SACD but can attest that the redbook has excellent sonics. I have the other three on SACD and they are terrific recordings and great music. Her disc a Hundred Miles is also nice only available though in redbook.

RT1
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited August 2009
    Options
    DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN~

Glad I picked up all my AK SACDs last year....
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • comfortablycurt
    edited August 2009
    Options
    So...what would be a good intro CD to Alison Krauss?

I almost got one yesterday...but I changed my mind and ended up getting something else.

Is the Plant & Krauss album any good?
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • snow
    edited August 2009
    Options

I almost got one yesterday...but I changed my mind and ended up getting something else.

Personally what I would do is buy a copy of the DVD Live and see if you like the sound if you do then perhaps look for more of her music.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALISON-KRAUSS-UNION-STATION-LIVE-DVD-BOXSET-NEW_W0QQitemZ130321496834QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item1e57c43b02&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

REGARDS SNOW
  • comfortablycurt
    edited August 2009
    Options
    snow wrote: »
    Personally what I would do is buy a copy of the DVD Live and see if you like the sound if you do then perhaps look for more of her music.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALISON-KRAUSS-UNION-STATION-LIVE-DVD-BOXSET-NEW_W0QQitemZ130321496834QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item1e57c43b02&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

REGARDS SNOW

Do they have that on CD? I think that's one of the ones they had.

I know it was Alison Krauss and Union Station...not sure if it was "Live" though.
    The nirvana inducer-
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
  • snow
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Do they have that on CD? I think that's one of the ones they had.

I know it was Alison Krauss and Union Station...not sure if it was "Live" though.
    Yes they have it on CD also. :)

REGARDS SNOW
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited August 2009
    Options

I hated that one.

The Live at Union Station is good, but I prefer the "Collection" CD.

"Oh Atlanta" is a REAL treat on the AL ribbons~

TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • greymatter
    greymatter Posts: 35
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    clear.gif

I just recently bought a Denon 3910 for $300 and it came with 10 SACD's and one of them was that Live SACD. It was a very good deal. That SACD has amazing sound.

where did you buy it from?
  • agfrost
    edited August 2009
    Options
    greymatter wrote: »
    where did you buy it from?

Must've been a private sale.
    Jay
  • F1nut
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hell yeah, but it isn't like her other releases.

President of Club Polk

• dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 561
    edited August 2009
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hell yeah, but it isn't like her other releases.

Agreed, it is good. However, my personal favorite is "So Long, So Wrong". The 180g vinyl is amazing.
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables