I am now convinced on the SRs

Thunderplains
Thunderplains Posts: 38
edited September 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
This morning I had a chance to hear the 165KR2s up against the SR6500 and not being a SQ nut, I simply closed my eyes and listened.

Between the 2, the focals seemed to have a little advantage in the midbass, almost not noticeable. But the SRs highs blew the focals away..
And being the first time I heard the focals and second on the SRs, Polk has a winner with these comps..

I guess the ring tweeter is the key, but it was very impressive.. I KNOW I made the right decision as far as comps go.. without question..

I dont know if the KRX2 or the KRX3's will make a huge difference,
but I am happy..
Post edited by Thunderplains on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2009
    Make sure you get those tweeters as on axis as possible. Theyre non existent off axis and wont resemble what you hear in the showroom. Their only really weakness honestly.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2009
    This morning I had a chance to hear the 165KR2s up against the SR6500 and not being a SQ nut, I simply closed my eyes and listened.

Between the 2, the focals seemed to have a little advantage in the midbass, almost not noticeable. But the SRs highs blew the focals away..
    And being the first time I heard the focals and second on the SRs, Polk has a winner with these comps..

I guess the ring tweeter is the key, but it was very impressive.. I KNOW I made the right decision as far as comps go.. without question..

I dont know if the KRX2 or the KRX3's will make a huge difference,
    but I am happy..

.......and you're saying that you're not a sq nut ;) welcome to the nuthouse buddy.

I have heard the focals and recently I got a chance to try the sr's. Your observations are accurate.
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited August 2009
    haha ... ok.. my SRs get good midbass.. nvr heard the competition.. but u can seal u'r door properly and get fantastic midbass.

(disclaimer... a dedicated 6" for 50hz to 100hz will yeaild better results. but then u'r talking 4-way active.. and that's some work doing)
  • Thunderplains
    edited August 2009
    arun1963 wrote: »
    .......and you're saying that you're not a sq nut ;) welcome to the nuthouse buddy.

I have heard the focals and recently I got a chance to try the sr's. Your observations are accurate.

This is going to be a sickness..:eek:
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2009

you bet. Like Mac said in the other thread SQ is about tuning, install and equipment. You've got the equipment end done. Now gather as musch info as you can on the install bit. Ask here and you will get lots of help, tips and tricks on install.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2009

Dude, you have no idea.

I cant count the amount of money and time Ive spent on gear, tuning, going to shows and such. Ive often sat in my car for 4-6 hours straight just tuning. And Ive loved every minute of it!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thunderplains
    edited August 2009
    Yep, sickness.
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited August 2009
    i love mine too

no one belives me that its just one component system..

also my sub is very low in frecuencies, so must songs dont activate the sub and the SR comps handle very well the mid bass
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited September 2009
    I have been loving my SR's since the first month they came out and I had to grab a pair. I was just about to go with the Focals or JL Z's, but the Polks destroyed both of them in overall smoothness.
  • ahardy17
    ahardy17 Posts: 84
    edited September 2009
    ...i wish i could afford SR's....i'm working o my new system now, my pride and joy. hopefully it will blow away any of the competition i might have in my area. so i wanted to invest in some good quality components for the front. i looked at my options and considered some of the higher-end boston acoustics systems and finally settled on the infinity kappa 680.9cs. I just didn't want to go with the db6501's because these front speakers are replacing db651's and I didn't want to go entry-level again, as highly regarded as the db6501's are. I'll be mounting the tweeters in the top of the door panel close to the a-pillars. i've decided this system has to eat other systems for lunch because I have a reputation to maintain...so unfortunately there are a million expensive directions I could take this to improve my system. SR's might be one of those upgrades if the infinity's don't cut it, but the head unit will be the first to go
    In-Car:
    Head Unit: Sony MEX-1GP
    Door speakers: Infinity Kappa 680.9cs
    Rear speakers: Polk db690
    Subwoofers: Memphis Audio 15-M3124
    Amps: Pioneer GM5300T, Kenwood KAC 6020, Memphis Audio MCD1.1100

In-Home:
    Harmon/Kardon AVR 230
    Harmon/Kardon DVD 101
    Yamaha RX-V995
    Bose 161
    Bose 901