Frequency response sweep

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
Does anyone have a working link to the low frequency test tones? I've searched the forums and tracked down reference links from other threads, but none of the links work anymore.

Thanks.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited March 2003
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2003
    Thanks... I've been to that page countless times.. just never scrolled down far enough.
    EDIT: lots of files there.. but not the one that plays 10 second samples from 10Hz to 100Hz...
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    The best one was that Gomez one. If you can't find something suitable, let me know and I'll burn you a disc and mail it over. I really like the 10 second tone - let's the meter stabilize and allows you to get a good read and record it without rushing. Perfect for manual charting.

If you will be feeding the SPL meter directly to your PC with a plotting software program, the faster sweeps are better to use.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    The best one was that Gomez one. If you can't find something suitable, let me know and I'll burn you a disc and mail it over. I really like the 10 second tone - let's the meter stabilize and allows you to get a good read and record it without rushing. Perfect for manual charting.

Doc, I think Mark and I live close enough we can share what you sent me.

Mark just send me email or give me a call and we can arrange it.

Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Well that's mighty white of you Henry. Did the Bass Box come in yet?

How are your impressions of the twins as time passes and you get adjusted to music and movies?

SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    I think I have another week or so to wait for the Bass Box. But I'm sure it will show...

The subs are just amazing! I do think there was a slight break in because they just warmed up on me if that makes sense. Music, 2 channel I have crossed at 60 and the whole sound stage has come alive. My h/k 520 only allows for a max freq of 60 Hz for 2 channel but I did increase the sub out to a +7 for 2 channel. May seem high but I really think the the h/k runs cold from the preamp because of internal processing losses. They claim high current amps so I'm thinking they decrease the the preamp stage to ensure they don't clip accross their internal main amps prematurely which are not in use anyway. I don't think that I can get to the full 200W on the Outlaw but that would be way too loud for me anyway. I can hit 110 dB spl easily with the settup so no biggie. I have the gain for dd back to -3 dB because I see clipping from the Samson every now and then when set higher. I don't want to clip untill I really have the levels nailed down.

I will do the sweep soon but between work and the bass box I have spent just enough time to grow accustomed to what I'm hearing/feeling. Everyday is like a new adventure and the SV purchase has made a difference of more than an order of magnitude to my settup. The best dollars spent on my system to date.

The interesting thing is going from Large on my fronts to small and playing for the last couple of weeks tell me that all of your advice to the forum regarding small is absolutely correct. Just from a 2 channel standpoint the RTi's image beautifully without the burden of 80 Hz and less. I think that may be what a lot of members dislike about the RT'i series but with the correct sub settup I cannot image the urge to give up my speakers ot this point.

My thinking is, and correct me if I'm heading down the wrong path, if you really want a speaker to perform for music a 3 way may be a better approach so we relieve the mid bass duties from the low bass demands within the same driver. This is just a thought but I can hear the difference.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Excellent write-up! I definitely found the RT800i sounds much better on small. The 6-1/2" bass driver has much cleaner mid bass presence and detail when it's not wildly bouncing in and out of its basket.

Also, even though your Outlaw is a powerhouse, it too will benefit being relieved of bass duty by filtering in the pre-amp stage. All the power of the Outlaw will be used for >60 or >80 Hz and it will become that much more effortless and dynamic.

As for the sub level at +7 on music, I guess you know your h/k as well as anyone and that's a judgement call. Once you get the black box, you can use it instead of the pre/pro to add gain for music - a nice touch.

Good to see you are hitting 110 comfortably on DVDs - I thought you would check in somewhere around there at full power with the Samson. Wow - that sucker is probably delivering upwards of 1,400 watts peak into your subs when that clipping light flickers - that's some power!

"Everyday is like a new adventure and the SV purchase has made a difference of more than an order of magnitude to my settup. The best dollars spent on my system to date."

My sentiments exactly - relieved and very pleased you feel the same way.

Have a great weekend!

Doc

SVS