Another off subject question.....

ChevyMan4x4
ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
About the piston rings what special tools are needed? Do I need to pull the engine? How long days sould this take?
Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
Post edited by ChevyMan4x4 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    I'm going to reference this post:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8708

because I explained most of it already. As far as what tools you will need, you will most likely need:

valve spring compressor
    torque wrench (for tightening)
    breaker bar (for loosening)
    ring compressor
    Chevy distributor wrench (goofy angle on the mounting collar)
    and whatever tools that you would need to get from the dealer.

However, due to your seemingly low level of skill and experience with this type of thing (not meant to be insulting), I advise you to take it to a shop and pay someone else to do it. It will take a professional about a week to a week and a half to do the job with waiting for ordered parts and such. For a novice, it can take 2-3 months as you learn what you have to do to do the job properly. If you don't do it properly, you will just be rebuilding or junking the engine in less than a year because of poor assembly techniques. There is alot more to it that most people think. The most important parts are the inspection, which you probably don't have the experience to recognize problem areas and legitimate damage and reassembly which is extremely important.

I really think you should call a mechanic or something. Most places that sell remanufacturerd engines will let you finance the cost. Then again, if the truck isn't worth a whole lot, it may be cheaper to just find a new truck.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2003
    I wouldn't even try...
    yeah, you will have to pull out the engine
    jstas pretty much covered everything
    another tool is a pry bar
    youll need it every now and then
    but like i said
    it will cost a good amount at the dealer...but i would do it
    if you do do it yourself
    make sure you have a book that takes you through it step by step
    b/c if you dont youll end up putting a bolt in too tight and stripping out the threads or something and itll cost you more money than taking it to the dealer
    plus when you get mad and take the pry bar and start beating the crap out of it....
    well...thats just me
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    You don't really need a pry bar, just a big stick or a 2x4 or a pole or a pipe or....well, you get the hint.

A BFH helps some too. Especially when you have to HIWAFH!

But still, this is not a job for a novie auto mechanic. If all you have done previously is change oil and spark plugs, this is beyond you, drastically. If you want to learn by doing, get a beater project car and learn on that rather than your main mode of transportation. Besides, if you screw up the project car, you usually aren't out much or its not a problem to have it sit for weeks while it gets fixed.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!