phuz Posts: 2,372
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can someone explain this concept to me?
Post edited by phuz on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    His name was Max, had a TV show in the mid to late 80's. Was moderatly successful and then for some reason just tanked one season and was never renewed.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Why are you asking over here, moron?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • phuz
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Why are you asking over here, moron?

eff ya rooster! :)

Because I rarely hear home audio folks talk about it. I usually hear it when I'm reading up on car audio.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    OK< I have to ask about what you are reffering to when you mention "headroom"? In a car, that usually means the amount of space between the top of your head at the roof of the passenger compartment in a car.

Musically however, you are probably referring to frequency range peaks and the amount of extra power available to produce those extreme peaks.

It really is inconsequential and shouldn't be a deciding factor if your decisions to purchase equipment. If you purchase your equipment for your tastes and application, you should have plenty of "headroom". Other than that, I've never really heard of "headroom" in car audio.

Well, now that I think about it, I have heard people discussing stereo sound staging and mentioning "headroom" as an effect that gives the sound a more open feeling. Like its being played in a concert hall and not a Civic or something. But that is a very complicated subject and neutral stereo imaging is difficult to attain in a car due to the limited speaker placement options and the fixed position of the listeners. I've seen people completely gut and rebuild the interior of a car just to improve the stereo imaging.

• jamas33
    jamas33 Posts: 89
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas
    His name was Max, had a TV show in the mid to late 80's. Was moderatly successful and then for some reason just tanked one season and was never renewed.

CLASSIC ANSWER LOLOLOL
    Equipment List:
    Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon XXV-005
    Planet Audio P13.3
    Ipod 60 GB
    XBox
    AMPS:
    Kicker KX1200.1
    Kicker KX850.4
    Speakers:
    Front: Kicker RS65
    Rear: Kicker RS65
    Rear Deck: Pioneer 4x10 (AAARGH)
    Subs: 2 Kicker 15L7

my car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/571313
  • phuz
    edited March 2003
    Lately when I see the term used, it has to do with power and amplification.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    Max Headroom... lmfao --- well, the verdict is in... Jstas has finally reached the depths of polk audio forum sarcasm as Cody and myself.

hehehehe.... :p

my take on headroom -- the only time i have heard it used is in reference to an amplifier's "reserve" in comparison to speaker rms rating.

take a 500 watt subwoofer... put a 700 watt amp on it... you have 200 watts headroom. ...headroom being "clean power available beyond the rms rating of your speaker" -- or at least that's teh concept i've been using the word for in my days.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    I thought it was the other way around? 700 watt sub on a 500 watt amp? Leave some room for upgrades i.e.: headroom? Well, either way I guess.

What I think is "headroom" is really slang that found its way into mainstream usage in audio circles. I think it is an inaccurate term just by the justification that no one seems to be able to explain it properly.

• automaticman
    automaticman Posts: 21
    edited March 2003
    Typically, when you tune a system, you'll set your amps to reach their maximum power output at around 3/4 or 2/3 of your headunits max volume. The ida is that you want all of your components to reach their max power output at the same time. Now. if you were to install amps that put out twice as much power as your speakers were rated at, this might not be a good idea. What you would want to do is set your amps gain to reach maybe 75% output at your headunits 3/4 mark. The remainig 25% of amp power would be "headroom" - clean power left in reserve to handle transients and other large volume spikes that might otherwise drive an amplifier into clipping.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited March 2003
    Eyyyyy ...... Let's not forget Max's hugely successful Coke commercial........
    Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • phuz
    edited March 2003
    Yeh yeh Headroom is also the name of a group of 3 sweedish hardcore techno producers/DJs. :p

Thanks for the explanation guys.