Totally Off subject....

ChevyMan4x4
ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok I know this has nothing to do with car stereo but how hard is to change Piston ring on a .307????? And the steps to doing so or atleast a good website :)
:rolleyes:
Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
Post edited by ChevyMan4x4 on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2003
    Suuuuuuuuuure man thats real easy.

Just remove the cylinder head, and just about EVERYTHING ELSE under the hood. Remove the piston, swap rings, put it all back together. :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    <-- not a mechanic --- but cody probably knows the answer to this question... he's the mechy type.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    You are talking about rebuilding an engine.

What is the .307 measurement though? I doubt that that is your bore size. 307 is more like teh cubic inches. I beliueve Chevy put that boat anchor in the pickups. You might want to get a quote or a rebuild and then find out how much it will cost you to buy a whole new engine.

As far as doing piston rings, you don't necessarily have to pull teh engine but you are looking at a complete disassembly. The oil pan will have to come off to pull teh crank so you can get the connecting rods off teh crank. Then the intake and heads have to be pulled. That means that all accessories have to come off and in some cases, the transmission has to be unbolted. Not in any Chevy that I know of though.

After you get all those parts off, teh pistons have to be pulled. If you have a bad ring, you are going to want to check the cylinder walls for trueness and probably check the block and heads for cracks. You will, at the very least, need to get the cylinders honed otherwise the new rings will never seat. However, you are probably looking at an overbore because bad rings tend to put the cylinder out of round. You will need a overbore to restore teh roundness. That means new pistons too. Since it is all apart, you might as well get all the gaskets, seals and bearings done and the valvetrain checked out. It will actually save you money on labor. Then the whole thing will have to be reassembled and retuned. There will be a break in period too. I also would not bet on the engine staying in the vehicle. It will most likely come out. It may be cheaper and quicker to just get a remanufacturer long or short block and have your old parts bolted to the remaned engine. The remaned engine will most likely have at the very least a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty which you will not get if a mechanic rebuilds the engine.

You got some research to do but I wouldn't let it go too long though. Good luck with it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!