4 ohms on 1 channel?

ChrisGains
ChrisGains Posts: 2
edited August 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Posted in the basic wiring section before I got to looking around. Seems better suited to here.....

Long story short i wrecked my car.So I tried to hook up my mid amp(2 channels) in the new car today. Come to find I have a bad channel.Any thing hooked up to the right channel sounds blown.As of now I have only 2 mids(front) on 1 channel.The amp says in can handle 2,4, or 8 ohm loads. Can I safely run 4 4ohm factory mids on 1 channel?I'm worried the RMS power is to high for just the 2 mids. I tried to bridge it using the negitive side of the right channel and they still sound blown.Does keeping the gain down help with RMS power I wouldn't think so.I'm really clueless when it comes to the tech part of hooking this stuff up. The first time I had a guy who would tell me to run this wire here and that wire there. Basicly just followed the same concept for the second install and everything works just having this channel problem and not knowing how ohms and rms and all that stuff really works.Any advice?
Post edited by ChrisGains on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2009
    theoretically, it would drop you to a 1 ohm load, which wouldnt be good.

Also, you are losing all the sound that is supposed to come from the right side. You should really get a new amp.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it