need some truck install pics, please

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited August 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
so i bought a 1991 Ford F150 and I want to replace the cassette deck :eek: :p with something from this century.... but I don't know where or how they would install the speakers.

it looks like right now the stock speakers might be either 4x6 or 5x7 in the doors. if I wanted to replace those with some cool sounding Polks.. what do you all recommend? and how will they sound pointing which way? I don't have rooom for a subwoofer.. so I need some 6.5"'s with decent bass.. although I would probably install an amp too of course.

give me some suggestions, please.

chill. :D
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2009
    follow up.. do they make a deck with a built in amp? not the amp that comes with the head unit.. but something that actually works and sounds good?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2009
    1991... was running a cassette deck back then too. Yep, getting old :D

Don't think there is any hu that comes with a decent inbuilt amp. You would need an amp for decent sound. My Ford has 5x7 stock on the front doors and the 6 1/2" momo mid fits in there on a spacer. There will be some gaps around the mid which you can seal with dynamat etc along with doing the rest of the door.

It would be relevant to know what your budget and expectations of the set up are. If you're just looking for some decent tunes while driving back and forth from work then front comps (sr 6500 or mm6501 depending on budget) bi-amped of the polk 500.4 would be good.

IMHO in a car set up a sub is always preferable. If space for a sub an issue in your truck, look again and see if you could fit in something slightly larger than a shoe box. If so you can get some neat 8-10" subs that go into a small box. I just feel that the lower frequencies are best reproduced by a sub as opposed to a 6 1/2" mid.

Also the choice of your hu would again depend on what level you want the car setup to be at. Unlike a home environment the car is perhaps the crappiest environment to reproduce sound. So if you want the car setup to even remotely sound like a home 2ch rig you will have really tweak the signal. This of course is totally opposite to home audio where you want to run the signal without any tweaking.

So to get some decent staging/imaging from car audio you need to use time alignment, independent eq for left and right ch's etc. So you can either look at a hu+processor option or a hu that has processing capability. Stuff like alpine 9887, or the pioneer p-880 etc.

Processing ability plus install are important. With stock locations the near side mid is almost 90 degrees off axis. So if you can install the mids with a slight to in it would help bring the near side mid more on axis. The tweets are best mounted on the front pillars in a cross firing position.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2009
    I like the new Pioneer DEH-800PRS. Its the 880PRS made over again with updated Burr Brown DAC and a copper chassis. Look at Alpine's PDX series of amps too if size is an issue for the mounting of the amps. I've played with these amps for a few weeks now and I really like them.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2009
    Sorry for the bad pics from the phone's camera.

Pioneer DEH-880PRS
    880PRS.jpg

PDX Amps Under Front Seats
    truck.jpg

PDX-4.150 For The HERTZ Comps
    0813091134a.jpg

PDX-1.1000 For The Subs
    0813091138.jpg

Dynamat On Front Door, HERTZ Midbass Driver
    Dynamat.jpg

Door Panel Mounted w/HERTZ Tweeter (Tweeter To Be Moved To A Pillar)
    GetAttachment.jpg

Subs Under Rear Seats, Temporary Fosgate P1 10" (Blew The JL 10W3's)
    0813091554.jpg
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2009
    ever come up with a budget?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it