Boss any good?

ChevyMan4x4
ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I found a 1200 watt Boss amp for pretty cheap... Is it worth it I am looking for something to push to GNX 12 cleanly and hard is this a good choice or another Legacy?

*Dream System*
7,500,000 Watt Legacy Ampx 2
2 Rocker Fosgate 8's
:p
Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
Post edited by ChevyMan4x4 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    its another legacy, pyramid, pyle, rockwood, etc etc etc...

GNX 12 --> need like 200 - 220 to have "plenty" of power for the subs... its past the rms but its irrelevant... if i had gnx's id put 200 - 220 on each.

assuming u have 4 ohm gnx's....

RF Power 351M -- rated 350 x 1 -- prolly comes out of the box at 400 x 1 at 2 ohms, so 200 per sub. -- $250 retail cost.

Kicker KX400.1 -- rated 400 x 1 -- $350 retail cost.

If you had the 8 ohm or dual 4 ohm gnx's ...

they way to go right now would be the mtx 8302 -- its on sale for $199 bucks right now (normally 350)... 425 x 1 bridged rated... does more like 500 x 1 at 14.4 out of the box.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    BOSS amps are like one of those lines that I see in the stereo shops in Philly. Certainly far from the best. Entry level equipment at best. If you want to get into car stereo for cheap, they are the way to go I guess but don't expect more than a reasonable amount of performance from them. They will most likely play loud but that is about it.

If you want cheap power, I'd go another company on the extreme high end of entry level like Profile or even Jensen. Amps from both of those companies will out-perform anything from the likes of BOSS and do it for the same if not a cheaper price.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited March 2003
    Yeah my friend has had a Jensen 500 watt amp for about 3 years now and it still works pretty well. Most of those amps will put out their rated RMS power... which in the case of his is something like 300 watts bridged 4 ohm. The only thing that happened to his is the LCD went out, so it doesn't light up "Jensen" in that beautiful blue... lol, I think he can live with that for an amp that cost him like 149.
    "The Big C"