Dx6

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all,

I just purchased a pair of slightly used dx6 speakers on eBay for $25. First off, let me say that I am very impressed with them. I am using them as "fillers" in the back of my F350 crew cab. In all honesty, they sound almost as good as the $250 Focals that I have up front.

My first question is this: did the dx6 come with what looks to be an external capacitor wired right on top of the speaker wire connects? From what I can see, they say "Bennic bipolar" and I can't read the rest of the writing on them.

Another question.. I have a Polk Momo 10" sub in a .65 cu box. Currently, I am running it on a cheapy Pioneer 380 watt RMS (got it at open box sale at Best Buy for $79). It sounds kinda "muddy". As in not tight. Do I need to feed it more and/or cleaner power? It is plenty loud, however I am not interested in SPL at all. I want tight precise bass. Is the Momo more of an SPL sub?? I broke it in as per Polk specs. , so I know that can't be the prob.

Also, if I isolate the sub using my EQ, I can still hear faint notes of higher frequency coming from the sub. It does this even if I disconnect the EQ from the head unit and run the HU directly to the sub amp. The sounds are very faint, but I can still hear them when only the sub is playing.

As far as the amps go, I have all their filters turned off and am using my EQ (Sony EX-90) as the active crossover.

I appreciate any help

Thanks,
Jeff B
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    dx6 --> yes it is supposed to have a little cap above the terminal hookups... its for the tweeter. they're very nice speakers... i've still got "all dx" in 3 cars for highs... sub brands vary but thats a difft story.

momo sub crossover --> try using the crossover on board the amp itself... maybe it'll be better for you... i dont know... i mean you're going to hear SOMETHING that seems like its a higher frequency, but u should notice that as soon as u turn on the rest of your speakers you dont notice that "part" of the sub's sound. if you just run the sub without your highs on, you may notice all kinds of junk... its just "life"... i cant really give u any better explanation.. the main thing is how it sound with everything as a whole.

momo power --> in a 350 crew cab this is expecially important. that's a big truck, a lot of air space to fill... you should be (if feesible) pushing the sub's limit -- its 400 rms, but putting 500 on it should not be a problem at all, and should improve overall quality and listening enjoyment.

momo muddy --> you probably didn't do anything wrong... its not the power, and the sub is not broke -- that's just how it sounds. It's an SQ sub, not an SPL sub, but it allows for a very high power handling, which, as a result, often times involves a compromise on accuracy. Alpine type R is a more accurate subwoofer, "tighter" in a sense, but not as much low end response nor does it take the power (safely - it'll take it.. then it'll just up and die one day.. the R 10 shouldn't be pushed much harder than 400, the 12 will take up to 500 - 550) that the momo does. something like an IDQ10 is the same story as well.. 350 rms tops, but insanely more accurate.

Overall, i think the momo is a good medium... personally, i like loudness with accuracy, and the momo accomplishes that... but if you're really really really nitpicky about the precision, while not wanting to sacrifice the loudness you have now, a better quality amp / subwoofer are in order me thinks.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge