New system in my son's truck

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited August 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just thru together a system for my son's truck. He needed something to listen to while cruising to and from school. I had a few items lying around and decided to put something together for him. Its going to be a surprise since he thinks all I'm doing is installing a new cam, intake, cold air intake system and a leveling kit to the front end. All this is in a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab.

Pioneer DEH-880PRS
Alpine PDX-4.150
Alpine PDX-1.1000
HERTZ HSK-165 Comps
JL Audio 10W3v3-4 x 2
Thuinderform Under Rear Seat Box

I used Tsunami IC's, Street Wires power and ground & 16awg speaker wires (12awg for the subs). I used the active XO in the 880PRS for the HERTZ comps. Mounted the Mid Bass Drivers in the doors where the OEM drivers were with an adapter I made to fit the 6 1/2" drivers in the 6x9 opening. The tweets are mounted in the front of the dash where the OEM mid bass drivers were located. A second set of tweets are mounted in the doors above the Mid Bass Drivers. Dialed the tweets in at 75wpc and the Mid Bass in at 125wpc. The subs are set at a modest 700 watts (adjustable thru the 880) I think he'll be surprised. And by the way, it sounds pretty damn good if I have to say so myself. I'll try and get some pics up later.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2009
    Looks like a solid systm. However, 2 sets of tweeters in front is too much bro. Having the same speakers playing the same frequencies but coming at you from different angles and distances is going to cause all kinds of phase and cancellation issues. In car audio, your goal is to use as few speakers as possible.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited August 2009
    Yep, the tweets on the dash were sligtly attenuated but still took away from the overall soundstage. They are no longer in the system. A little extra polyfil in the sub box made a huge difference in the sound also.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited August 2009
    Whats your opinion on those PDX amplifiers? I am still out on them. The sound coming from them just isn't what I think they should be.
  • Systems
    edited August 2009
    I like the PDX series. I was surprised by the performance. They run cool. The PDX-1.1000 is way more powerful than I expected. The PDX-4.150 really shines on the comps. Its like there is a synergy within the components matched together. I paid only $500 for both amps. They were used in a build for a SEMA show and then taken out of the car. I scored big time.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2009
    The PDX line is a great line of amps. They will make their rated power but they dont exceed them like say your MTX or Rockford Fosgate.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2009
    hey post some pictures. i need to see some truck installs. thanks
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Systems
    edited August 2009
    danger boy wrote: »
    hey post some pictures. i need to see some truck installs. thanks

I'll see what I can do. Nothing to really look at. Amps mounted under the seats, a HU in the dash, Comps in the doors, subs under the seats. But I'll see what I can do.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing