new 12's-need ideas on best sound

Crankbait
Crankbait Posts: 4
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, i just bought 2 12gxr 4ohm and their going in truck boxes.The boxes at my measurements measure 1.08 internal ^3ft.The speaker are rated for a minimum of 0.88.I will be putting a JBL 300.1 amp at 2 ohms giving each about 150 watts.I was just wondering if anyone has heard thes in truck boxes and should i put a pound of poly fill to make these sound decent,or will they sound alright with the air space given.(And please dont knock me for buying the gnx's--im poor).
Post edited by Crankbait on

Comments

• ChevyMan4x4
    ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
    edited March 2003
    But do you have to GNX's Or The GNR's? Don't get me wrong but I just don't like the sound of truck boxes my personal opinion though!
    Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    i would put pound of poly fill in it
    go to the local fabric store and they have it for much less than crutchfield or any other audio place
    as far as truck boxes....theyre not the best sounding boxes in the world...but hey...its a truck space is limited...what can ya do
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    the reason truck boxes usually "suck" is tht they are to small... to fit behind the seat, people will put a 12" sub that calls for 1.25 cubes in a box that is 0.8 cubes... and hence, let the suckage begin.

however, you've got a 1.08 you claim... so that is well within the suggested box size range for the GXR subwoofers.

i'd throw maybe half of a pound of polyfill in each box... u can get a pound for like 7 bucks from most retailers or like cody said, hit a fabric store, proly get it for half that... but half of a pound in each box should help those GXR's move a little better.

with 150 watts per sub they should perform well -- that jbl is a good amp.

when u get it all going, try it out first with both subs at the center of your truck behind the seat -- like right next to each other --- then, try it with them at opposite ends -- so there'd be like 2 feet between them... in some trucks, it'll sound louder/clearer with them together in the middle... in others, its better with them apart. all depends on the vehicle.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge