What is the best amp for a 12" polk speaker

Meo
Meo Posts: 1
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
would alpine be the best amp for a 12 polk speaker?
Jeremy
Post edited by Meo on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2003
    Alpine would be nice, Zapco would be better. :)
  • Crankbait
    Crankbait Posts: 4
    edited March 2003
    All depends on what type of speaker you have.And as far as amps go, its just a matter of personal opinion i think.Everyone has their favorites.Personally i only like alpine head units.As far as their other products i think their mostly defective.Alot of people like Fosgates and i have owned them and agree they push hard but they have some problems.Run extremely hot which is a sign of inefficiency.I think jbl has decent amps at a good price(ikesound.com).The mono powervalve amps are underrated and run efficiently and use less power from electrical system.Mtx class d amps good too.Do your research b4 you buy a trendy name.My suggestion(carreview.com).
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    depends on your application...
    if you have the gxr's....you can buy a cheap amp and get away with it
    with the gnx's..youd probably want to buy a better amp
    with the momos...anything less than rockford fosgate...mtx would probably not be in your best interest
    the better quality the sub woofer the more of a difference you can hear
    if you ran gxr's off a zapco amp then off a jensen amp you would notice a little bit of a difference but not much
    but if you ran momos off the same 2 amps you would hear a huge difference
    alpine amps are good
    theres no real best amp...just the bad...the alright...the good...and the really good...alpine is b/t good and really good
    better than rockford fosgate and mtx...but not as good as zapco...
    but if youre not running momos...then rf and mtx is probably cheaper...and serve you just as well
    anything up to momos would sound great on an alpine...as long as you dont underpower them
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    another member in this forum gave a very good suggestion for a momo sub...

cadence Z9000 -- saidhe could get it for 260 bucks.

class AB
    disgustingly low distortion (less than 0.01%)
    800 wrms x 1 bridged

alpine makes clean but not very powerful amps... you'd need a dual voice coil momo (which is not currently available) to get the power out of a MRD-500 that you'd really want to push a momo sub.

there's a new MRD-1000 out though... that's a welcome addition...

as far as zapco -- if i were to go that route i'd be buying studio series... the reference are too oddly shaped (long and skinny) to fit "comfortably" in my vehicle. And the C2k line requires a Symbilink processor (which i am not wasting my time, money, effort) on at this point.

If you're looking for high ends amps, that still accept RCA inputs, are relatively simple to deal with, and dont cost too much...

- USamps 2 channel's
    - Alphasonik
    - Zapco Studio

... are probably the way to go.

... but i dont think the speakers warrant that expendature of funds on that grade of amp... i do truly think that the mtx/rf/alpine or maybe something better like a cadence is the way to go for momo subs.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge