Power Problems

ChevyMan4x4
ChevyMan4x4 Posts: 52
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I Don't understand!!!!!! I am running a s10 blazer 8 inches of lift with 35' mickey tompsons!!!! With a .502 roll over engine I have took the Smog pump off the Engine and I am running 2 Dual Rectifier 200 amp Alternators. All I have as far as stereo equi. is A Small kicker 652xi amp and 2 GNX sub in a bandpass box. Lighting is 12 KC Daylighters 8 Front facing 4 rear facing. When I run my lights and the small stereo I am getting light dim when the bass hits!!!!!!! I don't understand I am running close to 400amps!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Any Advice is Help Full *
Sir Daniel X. Boom - the GNX slayer
Post edited by ChevyMan4x4 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    Well... lets say your fog lights are 15A each... your headlights 15A each... you KC lights 20A each --

15 - 20 A draw from the amplifier and head unit and ****...

15 x 4
    20 x 12
    315 amps ....

and maybe your alts only put out 200 A each at like 2000 rpms... or 3000 rpms ... or god knows what (this is why when i eventually go alt shopping i want one that is rated at 1700 rpms).

so say they're at 75% efficiency at 1500 rpms -- thats 300 amps -- u're drawing 315... there's your answer.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    an S10 with 35 in mickey thompsons!!??!!
    damn dude...thats a lot of stress on your engine...transmission...u joints...etc...lol
    -Cody
  • Keske944
    Keske944 Posts: 134
    edited March 2003
    If your only prob is headlights dimming you may be able to solve that rather easily. If you are not running a dry cell battery I would suggest one of them (stinger, optima, srv, ect). Or you may want to get a 1 farad cap. That would supply the extra kick when the bass hits and hopefully keep your lights from dimming.
    Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    First off, I think everyone is running down the wrong track here.

I NEED to know what you mean by .502

Is .502 a cam spec or is .502 engine displacement?

If it is .502 then, you either have a half-liter engine or you are not representing it correctly and you have an 8 liter Chevy 502 big block.

This is very very important that this gets straightened out. I do not believe that there is any problem with you charging system. You may not be turning the alternator fast enough to produce any electrical power. Especially if you have underdrive pulleys.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    aside --> what's an under or overdrive pully? i've heard them mentioned but have yet to know what they are/how they work (guessing it makes your power steering / alt / AC unit turn slower or faster at any given rpm ?)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    aside --> what's an under or overdrive pully? i've heard them mentioned but have yet to know what they are/how they work (guessing it makes your power steering / alt / AC unit turn slower or faster at any given rpm ?)

Underdrive pulleys are a set of pullies that are a bit smaller than stock I believe it is. Anyway, the point is, you change teh size of the accessory pullies so that the engine doesn't have to work as hard to turn them, essentially freeing up more power. Usually to the tune of 10-20 horses. However, it comes at a price. Financially, they can hurt with some kits costing over 500 bucks. They also hurt because, at slow speeds and low engine RPM's, the accesories are not being spun fast enough to get adequate charging system voltage, power steering pressure or AC unit pressure. Consequently, it can cause problems with the stereo because a low-output alternator will not support the load and extra power is drawn from the battery which gets drained faster than the over-taxed, low output alternator can replace it. Hence teh clipping problems, loss of power and low-voltage.

The other reason I asked about it is because if he has given a cam spec of .502, the duration would be important to know because it could cause a low-idle problem from the lumpy cam. Lumpy cams and performance cams have very low vaccum pressure below say 1500 RPM. They also idle fairly low, usually around 500-600 RPM where as a normal car will idle around 700-850. That small difference can be a big difference in accesory output, especially with underdrive pullies. If you ask me, underdrive pullies are more hassle than they are worth and most car companies will void drivetrain warranties if they are used.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    i can definately see how those pullies, as you describe them, could cause somebody a world of trouble.