New Speakers

Options
I brought Polk RTi38, etc system. Is there a break in time for these speaker. IF so, how long and what difference can be expected?
Post edited by Robert Imhoff on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Options
    This subject has been kicked around extensively and there are varying opinions on it.

The best studies I have seen actually measure several operating parameters when the speaker is new and cold, when it is new and warm, and also cold/warm after it has been in continuous use for several weeks.

Bottom line - operating parameters changed when the speaker was warm and returned to baseline when it was cold. These warm/cold parameters did not significantly alter after extended break-in.

Some people place great weight in break-in, but any change in sound probably has more to do with the speaker being warm than it does with it being used extensively over time.

The only real caveat here was the butyl surround for larger midrange and woofer drivers did loosen up (i.e., lose some stiffness and associated resistance to motion) over time, resulting in a slightly better transient response and efficiency.

I think overall, any difference you notice will be subtle and may have as much to do with you becoming accustomed to the sound of that particular speaker than anything else.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2003
    Options
    You indicate you bought the RTi 38 system. I didn't know that the RTi 38 came as part of a spkr package. Is this something new? Just curious.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Robert Imhoff
    Robert Imhoff Posts: 4
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Part of my system only. RTi38, csi30 and fxi300 w/202psw. [my wife wanted white on wall, so used fxi 300 rather then fx30i.]
  • cowboyato
    cowboyato Posts: 3
    edited March 2003
    Options
    i usually suggest breakin in speakers for 20 hours at a moderate volume before you turn em up real good
    I know everything about this stuff, and if i don't i can ask someone who does!!!
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Robert,

I believe in the speaker break-in. I just purchased LSi 9s and this is my third day listening to them.

When I first took them out of the boxes and hooked them up and played them dead cold....they sounded pretty bad. I expected this from reading others posts in this forum and from my own personal past experience. I knew that I couldn't pass judgement very quickly.

I believe that the Dr. makes a good statement about a speaker being cold versus warm etc. And yes the butyl surrounds on the drivers will "break-in" and sound better over time. I'm a big believer in data when you can get it. But data whether it be frequency response or SPL measurements cannot measure how the music blends "together" when the human ear hears it. Each person is different and unique. This is a difficult topic I'm sure and everyone is entitled to their own opinion but like an old engineering proverb that I heard "Without data you are just another person with an opinion". And opinion and personal preference is what it is.

I noticed the biggest change in the sound of my LSi speakers after the 15 - 20 hour period (five hours per day for three days at 80 to 85 db output at 9 feet). Right now I'm really satisfied and if it continues to improve from here (and it should, but not exponentially, just approaching that tangent line) I'll be grinning from ear to ear even more than I am right now.

My pdimes take about 70 hours to break-in (recommended by a local hi-fi dealer who carries the product). I bought these gems used though and they were broken in when I started listening to them.

Enjoy your speakers, I like the sound of the new tweets in the RTi line (I used to own the RT35i's).

Paul