I wasn't thoroughly impressed with the Polk SR system until...

jay27
jay27 Posts: 105
edited July 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I switched them from a coaxial mount to separates. I know this is probably redundant to just about everyone on here, but to the one or two that may not have experienced the SR tweeters up around the dash, give it a try. I have spent a good 6 months trying to tune these speakers as a coaxial setup. They were good, but never sounded great to me and I began to wonder what all the fuss was about. My system overall didn't blow me away either. I switched out amps, subs, component speakers, head units...pretty much everything to find a sound I was looking for. With all of the changes, the single best improvement I made happened this past weekend when I finally put the tweeters on my side mirror plastic covers (not sure what they are called) and pointed each toward the opposite headrest (the way MacLeod suggested in a previous post I remember reading) and I am now stunned at their performance. I haven't even tuned them yet according to their new location, but it was an amazing improvement. The volume on the receiver I have installed currently (PRS880) I could turn down about 5 levels as a result of the switch as well.
Post edited by jay27 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2009
    Theyre called the "sail panels". Dont ask me why. Not sure what a plastic trim piece that covers the mirror mounting bracket has to do with sailing.

The SR tweeters are VERY directional which can be a pain in the **** to tune with. That being said, theyre also super sweet and smooth tweeters so now that youve got them more on axis with your listening position youre able to take in all their sonic goodness.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited July 2009
    jesus mac... maybe cause they are shaped like sails.... come on

kicker_tweeters2.jpg

21-sail_boat.jpg

lmao
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • bradcapo2
    bradcapo2 Posts: 1
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un pr
  • Alter Ego Trip
    Alter Ego Trip Posts: 5
    edited July 2009
    Elo, I'm sure glad you posted that picture of the boat below. Otherwise I might not have realized the correlation. :D
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited July 2009
    i still dont see the resembelance. whos boat it that? Elos? MM marines would sound so sweet in there
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3