SR6500 a good choice?

Alter Ego Trip
Alter Ego Trip Posts: 5
edited July 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have narrowed down my speaker selection for my truck to either a Hat L6 pro, Hertz Mille, or the Polk SR6500.

I am looking for a speaker with good midbass to blend with my 2 RE SE12's in a sealed box, and have a very accurate yet laid back tweeter. The speakers must be a little forgiving as far as install (on/off axis). I prefer a warmer sound.

I found a BNIB set for sale used for 400.00 and am thinking about jumping on it. It's not a huge savings over new (490.00 through Woofers etc), but it puts it in the range I'm looking to spend.

Any input is appreciated.
Post edited by Alter Ego Trip on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2009
    Hertz are pretty good but I dont care for the HAT's. Too bland for me.

Ive been using the SR6500's in my car for SQ competitions since 2006 with very good results. I think Ive proven they are as good as anything out there in the same price range and even more.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Alter Ego Trip
    edited July 2009
    I figured you'd be the first to chime in. I've been reading a lot of your posts recently, and respect your knowledge and input.

I am currently running Alpine SPX17-ref's if that gives any comparison. I love the tweeter on the Alpine's and the woofer has a surprising amount of midbass that blends well with my RE's. For some reason though, I just can't get them to blend as well as I'd like. They just don't disappear like the speakers in my HT do.

Do you think 400.00 is a fair price for a NIB used set? I have looked everywhere and I have had a tough time tracking these down new. Woofer's etc has them for 490.00, that's the only place that stocks them anymore. If I purchase these they are without warranty however, so this makes me a little nervous.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2009
    Generally I say stay away from unauthorized retailers. Thats way too much money to be giving up on something that might be remanufactured, repaired, defective or whatever. Id rather pay the extra to buy from an authorized dealer so you know youre getting top shelf good and full backing and warranty support from the manufacturer.

And youll never get anything to work as good as it does in your home setup. A car is the worst environment imaginable for sound quality. Ive heard a couple cars like Kirk Proffitt's Acura, Eddie DeJesus' S-10 and Matt Roberts pickup that resemble a home system more than a car system BUT those are ultra high end systems costing well over $10,000 with custom dashes and all the trimmings.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited July 2009
    I have been loving my polks since about 2006 as well, I have them installed as comps up front and coax in the back and they sound great either way. Cost on those are about $350, so $400 is actually a great price. Woofersetc is a safe place to buy, I and others from other car audio sites have had great luck and service from them.
  • jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited July 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Hertz are pretty good but I dont care for the HAT's. Too bland for me.

Ive been using the SR6500's in my car for SQ competitions since 2006 with very good results. I think Ive proven they are as good as anything out there in the same price range and even more.

What other component speakers would you consider if you were to buy something besides the Polk SR series? I imagine you have heard just about everything there is to hear...
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2009
    DLS Nobelium hands down are the best car audio speakers Ive ever heard. They have a nice fat, warm sound. Eddie DeJesus' S-10 is one of only about 4 cars Ive ever heard that resemble a home audio system more than a car audio system. Granted they cost around $1800 so theyd better rock.

Morel Elates and especially the Supremo line is also pretty damn awesome but cost well over $1000 a set.

• cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited July 2009
    polk Mobile Monitor focal utolia Be. either or
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2009
    polk Mobile Monitor focal utolia Be. either or

I think thats a bit like comparing apples to oranges, in all respects.
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited July 2009
    wasn't comparing them at all. just giving my 2 cents on the best speakers. thought i'd give 2 options since the best speakers probably aren't the best for everybody. although i did include "either or" stating both would b a great choice for basically anybody..except some1 w/out $5000 to spend on components
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3
  • Alter Ego Trip
    edited July 2009
    My favorite so far are Hertz MLK2's. There's a used set for sale but for four bills, I have a tough time justifying. At that point you start to approach a diminishing return on investment pretty quick. :cool: