For all you PM Junkies.....seriously...

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited October 2001 in Music & Movies
Phantom Menace Bass Charts....

A little about sub performance and calibration, good info.....

Thought I would give you guys something to chew on for doggin ya so hard....

Cheers,
Russ
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2001
    I must say that TPM has one of the best dd tracks I have ever heard. Oh yeah, the bass is good to.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2001
    This soundtrack rocked. My PSW1200 gave me the love. Later:cool:
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited October 2001
    If we can keep the comments about PM strictly to the technical portion, then this message string will be fun.

It starts right from the beginning! Right after the opening scroll when the ship flies in from deep space and across the screen, I thought my room was going to collapse. The pod race, the hum of the lightsabers, etc...

Simply stunning audio and video quality! I'm having alot of fun with this disk.

John
    No excuses!
  • joelll
    joelll Posts: 120
    edited October 2001
    I loved the pod race on 70mm in the theater. It's one of the few reasons I'd bother to rent the DVD.

It really just oozed "set piece"; it looks like it could have been conceived and created separately from the rest of the film. They were really careful with the special effects, including sound. And sound might be the real reason to watch TPM at home.

I thought that most of the rest of TPM was utter tripe (Natalie Portman and her costumes excepted), really disappointing when compared to the first two Star Wars movies. It was all downhill once we first saw the Ewoks; I blame them.

:)
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2001
    I agree John, the sound is so completely envelopeing and the bass is right on. Not too little, not too much. Tight and clean. This really gives dts a run for their money.

The only aritifact that I really noticed was the use of edge enhancement, which I am surprised Lucas used. Other than that, this disk is excellent.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2001
    Was that technical comment fired towards me. I am the one who complains about topics getting off track after the second comment. The thead started with specific charts on the bass freq. of PM. I was amazed and I love good bass. PSW1200 up front and a Bosten Ac. VR 12 in back. I wonder how many people have subs that can actually go down to a clean 18hz. at a good spl. to even understand what this movie is capable of. Anyhow it's Friday and I need another beer. 2 cents Later :rolleyes:
  • trakker
    trakker Posts: 5
    edited October 2001
    So,

Knowing what the DVD is capable of, is there anyway of my PSW350 not popping during those scenes ? I hate the fact that I keep my Sub cranked up for every other DVD in my collection, yet when I watch SW:PM, I have to re-adjust all my levels everytime.

I'm running a Denon 3801 with:

Fronts: RT55i
    Center: CS400i
    Side Surrounds: f/x500i
    Rear Surrounds: f/x500i
    Sub: PSW350

Thanks,

Rick..
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2001
    Rich, sorry about your problem, but just short of telling you that your fly is down, your sub is just getting a good spanking on TPM. If you really like bass like I do, you really need to upgrade and since the PSW1200 is not in production anymore you may need to look into other companys. Sorry Polk! 2 cents PS. those SVS's look awesome.:p
  • trakker
    trakker Posts: 5
    edited October 2001
    No Problem. I can wait.

Thanks alot !

Rick..
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    Paul said his LSi9 rig.....nothing like rubbing it in, eh???

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    My thoughts ED ZACHRY.

Great, he is going to test it on a system we CANT HAVE.

R

Just hackin on ya Paul....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited October 2001
    Some guys just have all the luck.....and know how to flaunt it! Paul, you do realize with that comment you are now obligated to give us an unbiased review of them! ;)

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    Ya gotta love how Paul was just sooo smooth about it though. You know, I guess I am going to have to listen to this on my LSi9 setup, you know, like we all could have one. That was pretty smooth, I think.

Troy
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    That was hiliarious.....So Micah can listen to **** in primo sound now, eh??

I really can't wait to hear them to be honest....the price tag doesn't per se scare me, although the cost/benefit thing is a factor......I am kind of stoked about the prospect of these though.....

Troy
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2001
    Paul, thanks for the demo. info. on the LSI, many of us have been waiting for the bone. Ha! It's really hard to get a taste from stareing at pic's and specs. Lucky ****! LATER, scottvamp
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Thanks for the unbiased review. It sounds like you guys have a winner on your hands, not that I had any doubts. So what you're trying to tell me is that I won't be able to drive these things with my Technics receiver, huh? :rolleyes:

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    ....about the reciever but the should go nicely with Bose rears.

Troy
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    You know, I'm starting to think that Troy is actually jealous of my rears. As long as we're only talking about speakers I guess that's OK. I mean, who wouldn't be jealous of direct/reflecting technology?

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    ...I'll take my little R10's thanyouverymuch. You have a point though, who would have thought it would be possible to get such room filling sound from such tiny speakers...

I do have some amp envy, though....I am really wanting a good power amp the more I think about it...

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    Make fun of me all you want, but I had to BRING MY LSi9s BACK, darn it. When is Paul going to have to bring his demo samples BACK IN? I am crying. Altho... I am very happy with my RT55i's, even tho it was a tough nut to go back to them from the LSi's.

I'm not getting involved in this thread while you all are talking about "waiting for the bone" and "rears" and all that. Count me out.

:mad:

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    So you don't even rate a FREE pair to keep? Wow, I'm dissappointed, you really are a lackey. At least you got to hear 'em...

What is your opinion of them vs. the 55i's?? Help a brother out here before I go ahead and buy those DQ-10's....well, actually if that guy gets the amp squared away, the Dahlquist are mine anyway....

Troy
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    The LSi's are in a class by themselves.

I love my 55s. They are big and freakin loud. I love the 35s more, because I have a smaller (long narrow) listening room and sometimes the 55s are overwhelming in the space -- 35s have an amazingly detailed range, lots of air, and great stereo imaging as well as the volume of the 55s. RT55i's are just big, loud speakers; loads of delicacy, but mostly volume.

The LSi9's that I listened to in my living room reminded me a lot of the RT35i's -- astonishing detail, incredibly obvious imaging, and a real sense of lightness, air, and "room ambience" that I rarely get from the big hulking 55s. In other words, with the LSi9s, I could actually hear the room the recording was made in much moreso than I can in my 55s. In my listening space, the RT35i's were a much closer experience to the LSi9s.

In my opinion, my favorite Polk speakers (aside from my nifty cool RM6500 system) are still the RT35i's. (Wish I had a pair.)

...Free pair my butt. :mad: Sure, I'll make you some coffee, Sir Paul.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • TroyD
    edited October 2001
    I didn't read your review before my last post about the manuals...serves me right for not being observant...

I agree with your assessment of the 55's. I like them, a buddy of mine has a pair and they do blast. Whenever I look at them though, they scream Cerwin Vega to me. Better obviously but I don't think the detail is there as it is with (in lieu of the RT35i's) my RT7's. I just think the RT7's image like a **** and have such detail. I am more of a quality rather than quantity type guy and really don't look for head pounding volumes. Man, bring on the LSi's already, I can't wait to hear 'em...

Troy
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited October 2001
    When my nephew got his pair, we hooked them up to my system powered by a Carver m1.5t amp. We threw some heavyduty power into them and pushed them hard.

They shocked the hell out of us!!! What a great pair of speakers!!!

John
    No excuses!