Velodyne CHT-12 hook up question.

Options
bensontm
bensontm Posts: 31
The Circuit City salesman told me that I had to split the monster cable to input into the left and right line inputs on the back of the Velodyne or my subwoofer would not put out the best possible signal. In other words, connecting to just one line input rca jack on the back of the Velodyne would reduce the quality of sound the Velodyne subwoofer would put out. The Velodyne manual only mentions that the auto on/off would be affected. The manual does not mention overall sound quality.

Is the above true? Will running just one rca monster cable into the left or right line input reduce the sound quality? Do I need to get a Y splitter to connect to both the right and left line inputs on the back of the Velodyne from my one rca LFE output from the back of my Onkyo 600?

What should be my Onkyo 600 AV receiver volume settings for the invidivual speakers, ie. -12 to +12?

The AV receiver volume settings on the -12 to +12 range are as follows to allow the back speakers to be over powered by the front. Should I lower the fronts to 0 and the backs to -8? Would that be better and from what I am reading it would be better because the 0 and -8 settings at the AV receiver level would provide less distortion?

Subwoofer - Velodyne CHT-12
Onkyo 600 AV receivers - internal volume settings for speakers
Front Center - set to 4
Front L/R - set to 4
Back Center - set to 12
Back L/R - set to 12.
Subwoofer - set to -3

Speaker wire is 14 gauge at 8 foot lengths for the front three speakers and 28 feet lengths for the rear three speaker. Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer connected from the Onkyo AV's LFE with 15 foot monster cable to the left line input on the Velodyne which does not have an individual LFE input.

Onkyo 600 AV receiver - internal distance settings for speakers
Front Center- Polk CS400i - set to 6 feet
Front L/R - Infinity Entra 3s - set to 6 feet
Back Center - Sony micro - set to 3 feet
Back L/R- Polk 30Rs - set to 3 feet

My open listening area is an apartment living room with front to back wall distance of 12 feet and left to right wall distance of 18 feet. Entrance is a door on the far left of the front wall.

Moving to the far right 12 foot (living room depth) wall with the right side of theater system with front right speaker in the front right corner and surround right in the back right corner.

The front speakers (raised on 15" stands) are 7 feet apart with each speaker 18 inches from the television. No more room with the computer desk to the far left and the wall to the right.

It is set on a book shelf between the R30s rear surrounds at a similar heighth of 6 feet.
"Time will tell the tale"

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
Fronts - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Center Front - Infinity Entra Two
Surrounds - Infinity Entra 3 towers
Surround Center - Polk CS400i
Post edited by bensontm on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Options
    No you don't need a Y splitter.

Yes the sub will sound just as good using one line level input. Keep sub setting at -3 and crank sub filter all the way to the max to avoid double filtering.

Yes, you will have less pre-out distortion at lower speaker volume settings. I work off a 0 setting and go up or down slightly as needed.

You definitely need to get an SPL meter and balance your system - I can't believe your speakers are that far apart in volume.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • bensontm
    bensontm Posts: 31
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Sounds like I am going to have to get an SPl meter.
    "Time will tell the tale"

Onkyo 600 AV Receiver
    Fronts - Infinity Entra 3 towers
    Center Front - Infinity Entra Two
    Surrounds - Infinity Entra 3 towers
    Surround Center - Polk CS400i
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    Options
    i would thinkabout turning all but your sub down 4 to zerro and your rear center and rears down to 8 keep your sub where it is and reduce the volume on the sub. and if you want more volume turn up the master volume.