How can i hook up 4 speakers to 1, 2 channel amp??

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey! i have a fosgate punch amp, its two channels and i think 500 watts (it was powering my Hx2 1000w sub), i jsut picked up 6x9's and a momo component sytem, and without having to go through the trouble of buying another amp i was wondering if i could wiring it some way so i cna run all 4 speakers of the 2 channel amp...
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited March 2003
    The amp is 2 channel. You can Parallel wire the lefts to the left channel and do the same for the right channel. Assuming you are using the 6*9's for the rear and components for the front. You would wire the Positive wires together at the Positive and the negative wire to the negative terminal. This would produce a 2 ohm stereo load. This would allow you to Balance the sound left to right. You wont have front to rear control. For that, You need a 4 channel amp with 4 channel input.
    Chris
  • Systems
    edited March 2003
    thanks chris-would it do any damage to my speakers?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited March 2003
    As long as you keep the Gain down to avoid distortion. No problems.
    Chris
  • Systems
    edited March 2003
    even if the component set is 4ohms? its cool to run it at 2ohms? im not sure how the ohms stuff works...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited March 2003
    What model RF amp? The 4 ohm component and a 4 ohm 6*9 would yield a 2 ohm stereo load. It would make more power. About double what the amp is rated at 4 ohm. It would however add a little distortion to the sound. You may not notice.
    If you want a 4 channel amp. I am currently running a RF Pnch 600.4. Makes about 90 watts rms per channel according to the certificate. I am in the process of getting a RF Power 550X to drive my stereo speakers. If you would be intersted, Please let me know. This would drive all your speakers without a problem.
    Chris
  • Systems
    edited March 2003
    aiight thansk chris, yeah im gonna try this first, but i might be interested in it, how much do you ask for? my model right now is the 300s
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited March 2003
    The 300S makes 75 *2 at 4 ohm, 150 *2 at 2 ohm. Of course you know RF amps exceed there specs a little. The Punch 600.4 is rated 75*4 at 4 ohm. But the Certificate sheet states 726 watts rms all channels driven 2 ohm. Which roughly translates to 90 watts rms per channel at 4 ohm. Like what you have execpt with two extra channels. If your head unit only has 1 pair of RCA, Then all you need is a pair of Y-adapters. Female to two male. Then you would hook the Lefts to the Left channel and Right to both Right channels.
    I would like to get about $125 for the amp. its in good shape, Never abused. You can see the amp at WWW.CRUTCHFIELD.COM, Click on Site map, In the middle of the page you'll see Road Tests. Mine is Chris Philhower's Yellow Escape. That is my vehicle, i just changed the sub amp and sub box. Will be doing the stereo amp as well.
    Chris
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    if i were you i would hook up the 6x9s to the 300s and buy a 400s for the components
    that is if your components are in the front
    and hopefully they are
    do you have any subs?
    your staging would be a lot better if you have more power from your highs/mids in the front than if theyre equal
    you can check out www.carstereotime.com , www.onlinecarstereo.com , and www.carmedia1.com , car stereo time will beat anyones price
    all with free shipping and whole warranty
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited March 2003
    Hey chris, that sounds like a deal on ur amp, doe sit coem with shipping? i think im down to buy it, let me know, email me at everclear1567@aol.com to work out details
    Charlie
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing