Milatary Plane makes Emrg Landing

Pauly
Pauly Posts: 4,519
edited July 2009 in The Clubhouse
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jul/10/plane-makes-emergency-landing-tia/news-breaking/

Seen this happen this morning. Was pretty hetic this morning next door. Glad everything turned out ok. Been watching from my office. My phone camera doesnt zoom but just figured i snap a quick pic from my view.

Pauly
Life without music would
Post edited by Pauly on

Comments

• AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited July 2009
    great to hear that they made it OK.

need to keep all our young men and women safe at all times.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2009
    Smoke in the cockpit of a refueler would make me land ASAP, too!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2009
    If I had a dime for every time I put that oxygen mask on because of smoke in the tanker, I could buy some of my own albums.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2009
    So how many unexpected emergency landing did you make George?:eek::D And what exactly is smoking???
    If I had a dime for every time I put that oxygen mask on because of smoke in the tanker, I could buy some of my own albums.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2009

You're supposed to flush the butts before opening the bathroom door;):D
    Carl

• ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited July 2009
    Too much panama red in the cockpit? :D
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • George Grand
    edited July 2009
    Usually it was something in the electronics rack or the radar fried itself. You put the mask on until the smoke/fumes filter out.

Coming back to your own station? Not a problem. The worst that's going to happen is the flight surgeon is going to greet you and ask if anybody feels crummy. Land at ANOTHER station? Non-military? Man, you've got a ton of paperwork ahead of you. Plus, they won't be letting you take your airplane anywhere until qualified maintenance is performed on the airplane. That means you're sitting there until your home base gets maintenance people to your location, diagnoses and fixes the problem.

All the while you're sitting around in the same flying suit, boxer shorts, socks, and T-shirt that you were wearing when you left your house days ago.

I made one emergency landing in my career, at Forbes Field in Kansas.

And the KC-135 series of aircraft? All 6 or 7 hundred of them came from the Boeing factory with an ashtray built into every crew position.
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited July 2009
    And the KC-135 series of aircraft? All 6 or 7 hundred of them came from the Boeing factory with an ashtray built into every crew position.

Well, that's mighty thoughtful of them
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,362
    edited July 2009
    Usually it was something in the electronics rack or the radar fried itself. You put the mask on until the smoke/fumes filter out.

Coming back to your own station? Not a problem. The worst that's going to happen is the flight surgeon is going to greet you and ask if anybody feels crummy. Land at ANOTHER station? Non-military? Man, you've got a ton of paperwork ahead of you. Plus, they won't be letting you take your airplane anywhere until qualified maintenance is performed on the airplane. That means you're sitting there until your home base gets maintenance people to your location, diagnoses and fixes the problem.

All the while you're sitting around in the same flying suit, boxer shorts, socks, and T-shirt that you were wearing when you left your house days ago.

I made one emergency landing in my career, at Forbes Field in Kansas.

KC135's are in essence the military version of the old Boeing 707 airliner, albeit heavily moddified for it's military role. I knew a few 135 drivers when I was in the Corps, and every one of them flew with an extra change of clothes. Thanks George for the time in the air. Flying a gas station like that was/is one of the roughest gigs in the sky.:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • AudioGenics
    edited July 2009
    "Weightless Wonder" and the "Vomit Comet," NASA's KC-135
  • AudioGenics
    edited July 2009
    Flying Gas Station Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited July 2009

That is probably the case George, but don't forget about the ACM (Air cycling Machine) that has been the culprit of many smoke in the cockpit IFE's.

Not anymore, a recent mod has pretty much removed all of the old ashtrays, although the remaining ones do make for a good trash can for gum, and gum wrappers, lol.
    KC135's are in essence the military version of the old Boeing 707 airliner, albeit heavily moddified for it's military role. I knew a few 135 drivers when I was in the Corps, and every one of them flew with an extra change of clothes. Thanks George for the time in the air. Flying a gas station like that was/is one of the roughest gigs in the sky.:)

I am currently in the Active Duty Air Force (as I think you may already know John, lol) and I just happen to be a crew chief on the KC-135 R/T Stratotanker stationed at Fairchild AFB in Wa. Been involved in many IFE's and what not for smoke in the cockpit. Also, very good point about the overnight bag, seen may a crew show up with a change of clothes, just in case, lol. I can't count the number of times I have crewed a Jet TDY and have broke on an overnighter and I was glad I packed for a week, lol. The Jet that landed there was from MacDill AFB as I'm sure you know Pauly, I have been there a few times and liked it very much. Haven't been there in a few years, but wouldn't mind going back again, lol. They put us up in a very nice hotel (Quorum Westshore) and went to the Coyote Ugly bar down there too.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • George Grand
    edited July 2009
    I have 8,500 hours in tankers. That's about the equivalent of TWO, 20 year careers for an active duty boom operator. What do you want to tell me about tankers and overnight adventures? I retired almost one year ago to the day.

I also personally knew Paul Hamilton. You figure that one out.
  • wutadumsn23
    edited July 2009
    I have 8,500 hours in tankers. That's about the equivalent of TWO, 20 year careers for an active duty boom operator. What do you want to tell me about tankers and overnight adventures? I retired almost one year ago to the day.

I also personally knew Paul Hamilton. You figure that one out.

???? I hope you don't think I was trying to one up you George, was just adding my $.02 to the conversation since I know a little about the topic, lol. 8,500 hrs. is quite impressive, were you ever stationed at Fairchild? As I'm sure is the case with you I have been deployed/TDY more than I care to remember, and have had some fun times on both. My favorites are the GATM out and backs to Hickam, and the occasional Red Flag in Vegas, lol. Nothing like spending a day on the beach in Hawaii, and hitting up Dukes.
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• George Grand
    edited July 2009
    Harry's Underwater Bar was the place to drink in Hickalulu. But it has been closed for over twenty-five years now.
  • George Grand
    edited July 2009
    That is probably the case George, but don't forget about the ACM (Air cycling Machine) that has been the culprit of many smoke in the cockpit IFE's.

Not anymore, a recent mod has pretty much removed all of the old ashtrays, although the remaining ones do make for a good trash can for gum, and gum wrappers, lol. I am currently in the Active Duty Air Force (as I think you may already know John, lol) and I just happen to be a crew chief on the KC-135 R/T Stratotanker stationed at Fairchild AFB in Wa.

I never had an ACM machine fail inflight.

So how long have you served in this capacity as a -135 cc?

I was never in the Air Force and never stationed at Fairchild. Matter of fact, I think the only time I ever spent there was taking the governor of New Jersey out there in the early 80's. Never went to the survival school thing. Too stressful I would imagine.
  • wutadumsn23
    edited July 2009
    I never had an ACM machine fail inflight.

So how long have you served in this capacity as a -135 cc?

I was never in the Air Force and never stationed at Fairchild. Matter of fact, I think the only time I ever spent there was taking the governor of New Jersey out there in the early 80's. Never went to the survival school thing. Too stressful I would imagine.

That is weird, in my experience a vast majority of all smoke in the cockpit issues have been problems with the ACM's. Not them actually failing or shelling out (only seen one of those and it was not pretty) but for other reasons and the fumes being pumped into the jet from the air ducts. Also, while you have never had an ACM be the cause of a smoke in the cockpit type of situation, doesn't mean that it isn't possible of happening. Did you fly A's, E's, Q's, or R's/T's? J57's, TF33's or F108's? I have been stationed at Fairchild all my career and have been a flightline crew chief for over 10 years now. I don't claim to know everything, but I have been around long enough to be able to consider myself no longer a "FNG", lol. Not trying to start an argument George, or a pissing contest just offering up my $.02. :D
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• AudioGenics
    edited July 2009
    changing the subject before the smoke turns to flames

what do you think about this (FROM grumman's website...)

Northrop Grumman’s KC-45 Tanker is the right answer for the U.S. Air Force’s modernization of its aerial refueling fleet.

This capable aircraft is based on the highly successful A330 airliner, and is a derivative of the tanker/transport aircraft already selected for service in the air forces of Australia, United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. The KC-45 provides a total air mobility solution – with exceptional capacity for in-flight refueling, plus full flexibility in cargo delivery, passenger transport, aeromedical evacuation, and other missions.
  • wutadumsn23
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, they have been talking about replacing the 135 for years now, lol. Hopefully they will seeing as how most of our Jets here are over 50 years old. The KC-X is a much needed addition to the AF, but unfortunatelty is still years away. Boeing also has a proposal (big scandal, lol) the 767. Added a couple of links for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/kc767/ Boeing's 767

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KC-X link to the KC-X
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)