Recommended Tuning CD's?

OmegaRed
OmegaRed Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just about got the "Phase 2" of my install finished on my Ridgeline (waiting for a ipod to RCA cable). "Phase 2" was install of the MM6501 comps and a Clean Sweep AUX expander (makes it so I can jack up the "in the dirt" signal from my Sirius radio and add my ipod when necessary). "Phase 1" was the sub and amps install. Running an older polk db 10 off a Polk Momo mono amp (500.1 or some such nomenclature?)

The xovers are run back to the amps so I can eventually bi-amp them once I buy one of those RF 360 thingies. Just need to sell the wife on that somehow. :D Currently running the the MM's off an older 100x2 Sony amp from my last install.

Anyway, I have the rear seat out so I can fiddle with gains, settings, polarity, and whatnot, so I'd like some recommendations on CD's to tune with and maybe some details of what to look for within the passages.

Normally I just put in what I like and tune to that, but it can be difficult, having had no reference system to work from. I mean I thought my 2 previous systems sounded good, but you never know.

Thanks for your help
Bob
Post edited by OmegaRed on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2009
    The xovers are run back to the amps so I can eventually bi-amp them once I buy one of those RF 360 thingies.

If you have a 4ch amp, you can bi-amp the mm's without the 360. If you're running rears off the 4ch, you will have to disconnect them. You dont need rears in anycase :).

The 360 will let you go active. The mm's predecessor, mmc6500 had xovers that allowed bi-amping. The MM's xover doesnt, but it can still be done. Bi-amping gives you the flexibility to tune each driver independently.
    Anyway, I have the rear seat out so I can fiddle with gains, settings, polarity, and what not,

The objective of tuning is to set an accurate and lifelike sound stage. Atleast as lifelike as your setup will allow. If you were to close your eyes and listen, the entire sound prsentation including the sub hits would be from the front and above the dash height. Like on a stage, the instruments and vocalist would have fixed locations.

To do this, you would need to control a few things. The first is independent left and right control of atleast 10-12frequencies in the 20-20khz range. Different frequencies are louder on different sides of the car. You need to balance these and set the level for each, so that the sound is balanced and centred.

Next, you would also need the ability to time align your speakers to compensate for the fact that the speakers are at different distances from your ears. The third would be control over xover points, slopes etc. These allow you to accurately set your stage height, depth etc.

If you enjoy the tweaking and tuning (as I do) and would like to set the sound stage, I would recommend a good hu that allows you to do the above. It will be cheaper than the 360 and it will allow you to understand how everything is linked and how the linkages work.

Some of the hu's will also allow you to go active, no xovers, you define the xover points. Like the momo's, I think the mm's are also x'dover at about 2.6-3khz. In active mode, you can cross over higher and the sound becomes much clearer. Mostly becoz the load on the tweeter is reduced. Instead of spending 600 and change on the 360 you can get maybe 70% of what the 360 gives you for about half the price. Once you are comfortable with everything you can always add the 360.
    so I'd like some recommendations on CD's to tune with and maybe some details of what to look for within the passages

Some cd's are recorded and mastered really well, a lot of cd's are just average in recording quality. This difference is really highlighted on a decently tuned setup. Some cd's that I use for tuning include:

1. Tracy Chapman - Fast Cars
    2. Roger Waters - Ammused to Death
    3. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    4. Keith Jarett - The Cure

One of the things you get when the tuning is right, is the ability to hear things like the vocalists lips opening a fraction of second before he/she starts singing, the vocalist breathing etc. On the Waters cd, there is a number where a dog barks in one of the quieter passages of the song. The first time I hit the right settings oh this song, I really felt like there was a dog barking OUTSIDE the car. This with the windows rolled up.

Sorry about the long winded post. I hope it helps.
  • mshan242700
    mshan242700 Posts: 823
    edited July 2009
    I had a car stereo professionally installed years ago and they had some car stereo competition organization cd they used for tuning purposes.

Found this via quick google search for car stereo compeitition cd: http://www.carsound.com/news/archives/7_10_101_3.shtml
    compeition cds on this page: http://store.iasca.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodall
    (looks like you can download too)