Amp for 2x12" SR's

Jak3
Jak3 Posts: 11
edited July 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok so ive had just one 12 inch SR for a few weeks now and im thinking about buying the second, i currently have a kicker 750.1 amp working the 4ohm DVC SR wired to 2 ohms, i plan on doing the same with the second SR so im gonna have to go 1 ohm... Now the problem: Im having a tough time finding an amp that can push these puppies, all i can find in the right watt range is Hifonics stuff, what else is there?

I would like to stay with kicker but those amps dont support 1 ohm and i dont wanna buy another 750.1 because i dont want to run 3 amps (I have a hifonics amp running my components).

Quality amp that will push at least 1400rms hmm?
Post edited by Jak3 on

Comments

• dirthog
    dirthog Posts: 124
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't run the SR's at 1 ohm, but it is up to you.

The SR's are not made to be bass thumpers and I think you will be surprised at the sound difference between 1 ohm and 4 ohm. Try running your current SR at 8 ohms once to see if you can hear a difference. I think it's less boomy and blends in better. If your goal is to have thump then you might want to look at a different sub.

A lot of people think they are getting way more output because of more watts at 1 ohm but that's not true, higher ohms are more efficient. The best way I've heard it described is a fan with 1 blade has to spin faster compared to a fan with 4 blades to produce the same amount of air flow.

And, if you run the 2 SR's at 4 ohms you wouldn't have to worry about another amp.
    HU: 880PRS
    Front: SR6500
    Amp: Alpine MRV-F545
    Sub: SR124-DVC
    Amp: Alpine MRD-M1005
  • Jak3
    Jak3 Posts: 11
    edited July 2009
    My one 12 sounds pretty good, spl and sq at 2 ohms. Ive read nothing but people explaining it as being great in both departments.

Anyway ive decided im just gonna get another kicker 750.1 and run one to each sub at 2 ohms each.
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited July 2009
    I couldn't imagine a second 12 in my Z, but go all out and let us know how it sounds. :)
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited July 2009
    i have the Alpine PDX 1.1000

its actually more than 1000 RMS
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC