Tile floor cleaning advice

avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited June 2013 in The Clubhouse
Ok so I moved into a new place/house, and the landlords said they had it cleaned. Now on the surface it does look clean, but after a few hours of walking around my kids and I get the lovely black feet. Now for some people its not a big deal but for me black feet reminds me of...well I dont want to offend anyone, but I just hate it, it makes me feel getto. And I take pride on where I live.

So any ways part of the house is lamenate flooring, and the kitchen and entry ways are tile. I did a good scrubbing with Murphy's Oil soap, but after a while my feet get black again. I am thinking its the tile flooring. Short of hiring to do a steam clean for the tile (which I really cannot afford right now) is there anything else anyone could suggest?
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by avelanchefan on

Comments

• AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited July 2009
    i did a quick search in google and there are tons of sites that have floor cleaning advice
    i just copied one here.

you will probably need to clean several times and regularly to get the floors back to clean.

http://www.mrscleannw.com/tips/tile-floors.html

Ceramic Floor Tile
    Cleaning ceramic tile floors is easier than cleaning hardwood floors, but it can still be a challenge. To clean the actual tiles, you can usually get away with just a damp mop from time to time. When it comes to cleaning your floors, you want to save the harshest chemicals as a last resort. Here’s a list of ceramic tile options from most gentle to most harsh:

•Dust Mop or Broom
    •Clean Water on a Damp Mop
    •Cup Rubbing Alcohol in 2 Gallons of Water
    •General Household Cleaners (Lysol, etc) Diluted in Water
    •Only for Stubborn Stains or Serious Sanitizing: Full Strength Household Cleaner OR a Weak Bleach Solution
    Any time you use a chemical, you should mop again with clean water. The ceramic tiles themselves are simple to clean. The problem, of course, is the grout!

Cleaning Grout
    The grout between tiles absorbs all of the dirt, spills, and stains that slide off the tiles. When your grout is dirty or discolored, it doesn’t matter how clean your tiles are; your floor will have a dirty appearance.

The Right Mop
    The most important thing is to have the right tools for the job. If your tiles are higher than the grout, you will need a mop that can get into the grout. Sponge mops will not work well. Wet Swiffer and comparable disposable cloth mops are wonderful things, but they won’t reach into your grout. In fact, sponge mops and disposable cloth mops will usually make your grout look worse. You will be pushing your dirty mop water and whatever you cleaned off the tiles into the grout. Your best bet is to get a mop that has cloth strips or a cotton mop with the coiled yarns.

The Right Cleaner
    If your grout is fairly dirty, you’ll need a stronger solution than you use on the tiles. Follow the directions on your cleaner for “heavy duty cleaning.” Lysol and similar cleaners can be used almost full strength for thorough cleaning of the grout. Mix just enough hot or warm water to dilute the color a shade or two. Remember that when you use such strong solutions, you will need to go over it again with plain water.

Yes, it’s a pain, but once you do a very thorough cleaning, future cleanings will be easier. OxiClean and similar cleaners work really well on grout, but be sure that you don’t use too strong of a solution or you will leave little crusty white messes clinging to the grout. For me, it’s easier to make a spray bottle solution to spray directly onto the grout. I use a bucket of clean, warm water to wring out and clean the mop in between
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited July 2009
    Our house is about 70% tile, and the 12 x 40 patio is tiled. We use the tried and true method of vinegar and hot water with a mop.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2009
    There are small steam cleaners that are pretty cheap and supposedly clean tile very well. I was thinking of getting one but we don't really have enough ti;le to justify it so we got the rug steam cleaner instead.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    edited July 2009
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Our house is about 70% tile, and the 12 x 40 patio is tiled. We use the tried and true method of vinegar and hot water with a mop.

this works great have used it for decades....and the price is right...........
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2009
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    this works great have used it for decades....and the price is right...........

Could you use that technique on Vinyl flooring or would it dull the surface!

Thanks!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited July 2009
    SHARK S3501 PROFESSIONAL STAM MOP HARD SURFACE CLEANER

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=8554&ref=Froogle_New

Believe me, works like a charm.......dont forget to soak the towel with bleach 50/50 ratio.
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited July 2009
    That Shark is great. My wife wanted it, but she couldn't justify spending that much. She ended up getting the Lysol brand steamer and it works very, very well for well. I think she got it for $30. We use it on hardwood, tile and linoleum floors.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • fossy
    fossy Posts: 1,378
    edited July 2009
    Perhaps some kind of clear-coat ?? After a thorough cleaning ??
  • leadfoot1
    leadfoot1 Posts: 155
    edited July 2009
    Our house is mostly tile and we have one of those Shark steamers. Works great. Just requires a little elbow grease.
  • avelanchefan
    edited July 2009
    Thanks guys. Will look into the Lysol steamer as Shawn suggested. I am almost positive it is coming from the tile. It just feels to be on the greasy side, even after the third mopping. (Used Pine Sol the last two times)
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited July 2009
    Find yourself a good wife or girlfriend.
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited July 2009
    Probably a residue on the tile from built up cleaners that were never rinsed properly, and then when you walk anywhere your feet pick up dirt. On a different note, did you hear Sakic retired?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited July 2009
    My sisters house is the same way......i won't ever take my shoes off over there. It's definitely a dirty floor thing, but I'm not putting more care into her place than she does......thus....my shoes stay on and I'm not playing on the floor.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • avelanchefan
    edited July 2009
    Messiah...yep I did see Sakic retired. Sad but inevitable, end of an Avalanche/Nordiques era.

Brett...too funny. And I feel the same way. I want my kids to play without the grossness of getting dirty. I just really hate that. And I hate to wear shoes in my house. I work in a hospital and I know what kind of stuff I pick up there, and in no way do i want to bring that in my house.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
  • kevinyount958
    kevinyount958 Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, very useful. Thanks to AudioGenics. :)
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited June 2013
    Mop floors with Fabuloso it works.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, very useful. Thanks to AudioGenics. :)

You forgot your spam link. :rolleyes:
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2013
    Still haven't tried vinegar and water??
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • sundeios
    sundeios Posts: 12
    edited August 2019
    In the bathroom, we have a tiled floor with quite large stripes between the tiles, and a flat mop does not get there. But dust and dirt get there without problems and when washing, they remain there! In the living room the floor is flat, there are micro-cracks between the large stone tiles, but they also turned black over time. I am thinking about steam mop, can you tell what is the best steam mop for tile in your opinion?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    arnitous reported
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    My GF has hard flooring in her entire house. She uses a Hoover floormate deluxe which works pretty good. In general I hate a house with no carpet because every little spec of dust and hair collects under the furniture then when you move it there's about 40 lbs of dust bunnies under there. Just venting here...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Bro, just imagine what's not getting picked up in your carpet. I have renovated over 500 houses and even clean carpet is down right disgusting
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    All hardwood floors suck. Aside from being hard on the feet, they just look ugly. A little carpet brightens up the room. However, I would really like to get one of those robot house cleaners, but they seem to only work on hardwood floors.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited December 2019
    Shark pocket steam mop. I have the one with 3 temp settings an excellent machine
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.