Anyone know of a decent pre-amp/tuner?

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
edited March 2003 in Electronics
This tube amp I have sounds great but I haven't be able to get a good signal that really works right. Either the top end is missing or the bass is super weak. The only thing that works well is the output on my DVD player but it's playing through the mini-plug for the headphones on the TV to boost signal strength.

It sounds great if I get a good signal through it. So I'm looking for something that will give me treble and bass controls at the minimum and maybe a radio tuner. Then I can plug the CD or DVD player into the pre-amp/tuner and run the pre-amp signal out to the amp and make everything be happy.

So criteria:

- At the very least, seperate bass and treble controls, an equalizer would be nice
- No amplifier
- CHEAP! (In price that is)

If I can come close to that, I will be happy.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I found a Carver C-1 pre-amp.

I also found a Technics Technics ST-K50 that looks to be in good shape. i might just pick it up.

Thanks for turning me onto that Mintek player. The only bonus the Denon has over it is a multichanger.

• Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I think I'm going to get that Technics tuner. I figured, what the hell do I care. I'm going to use it work and by the time I get the tuner, pre-amp and CD player, with the amp and speakers I will have spent less than 500 dollars on a complete stereo.

Current bid on he tuner is $5.95. Talk about a deal! Got 3 and a half days before the auction ends though.

I'm not telling anybody about where I found the Carver either.

• SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Take a look at the Anthemav.com website.....

I'm thinking about picking the Anthem 2ch pre/tuner TLP 1

but haven't made up my mind yet or have any spare cash available at the present time.

dc.:lol:
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'm not looking for anything that expensive. I just want something cheap for work that I won't particularly care if it gets broken, lost or ganked. Well, I think I will care about the Carver going away but it such an awesome deal I can't pass it up.

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I'd be interested in hearing the Carver pre on your tube amp.

I'm missing something here, what were you using for a pre as the rig sits now?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The amp itself has a pre-amp in it. There are no level controls though so it is a very flat response curve. The volume control is kind of like a gain control. The reason I want a pre-amp is two fold. For one thing, the amp has only one pair of input jacks. I want a preamp so I can run a tuner and a CD player for work. I was going to build a switchable RCA jack box myself but after lisetning to the amp on George's CD Changer, I realized that the amp itself is not the problem but rather the source signal. I have been using a Sony Car Discman as my source signal. It has sparkling highs and a very powerful midrange but no bottom end. I hooked the amp up to George's CD Changer and we started plugging different sets of speakers into it. George's CD Changer was a night and day difference.

So I will need a preamp to be able to get bass and treble controls to tailor the sound going into the amp. The amp can handle it too. I actually got it to play a 28 Hz tone and the specs says it only goes to 30 Hz. I don't have a high frequency test CD so I can't really test the high end without equipment. However, the amp is alot more capable than I thought, makes very clean power too. I'm very happy with it and if I get this deal on this Carver preamp, I think it will work very well with this itty bitty tube amp.

• Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I'd be interested in hearing the Carver pre on your tube amp.

I'm missing something here, what were you using for a pre as the rig sits now?

Cheers,
    Russ

Not going to happen now. I got shafted out of the Carver. Pisses me off too. I was going to be getting the Carver C-1 for $128.73 which included shipping and insurance but the guy told me 100 bucks wasn't enough. Then I seet the auction listed for $2.50 more and some guy won the auction. It hasn't been cancelled yet either.

I did pick up a Onkyo P-301 Preamp and an Onkyo T-4210 Tuner for 150 for the pair. Not a bad deal. Certainly not a Carver C-1 but it will do. Has alot of features too. Not a bad deal I don't think.

That makes about 420 bucks for a stereo with tuner and cd player that plays MP3's too. Exactly what I was looking for in a rig for work. Not bad IMO. Certainly not the greatest selection of components but they will do sufficiently.