systems in a blazer

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a blazer and I heard some stuff about downfiring. Whats that all about? Also, I am stuck between two 10" Infinity Kappas and one 12" momo. I dont know which setup will do better in a suz like a blazer. Will I need two 12s? What amp is good too.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    most vehicles that have their subs downfiring will be extended cab trucks
    it sounds good and plus it saves space by putting it under the seat
    but in a blazer i wouldnt worry about it
    momos are going to be a better bet than infinitis as far as how loud it gets and theyll sound better over all
    but most likely 2 kappas will out perform 1 momo
    even if theyre 10s
    suggestions for the amp
    for one 12 in momo
    you need to look for an amp rated at 500wattsx1 at 4 ohms
    2 12 inch momos:
    1000x1watts at 2 ohms
    cant help you out with the infinitis b/c i dont know what theyre rated
    i have 2 mm12s with the Rockford Fosgate bd1000 pushing it
    sounds fricking awesome man
    rockford fosgate is onsale right now at www.onlinecarstereo.com and www.carstereotime.com will beat any price
    both have free shipping
    www.carmedia1.com is another place thats usually really cheap too
    you can always go with 2 momo 10s
    amp for 2 momo 10s
    800x1 @ 2 ohms
    amp for 1 momo 10
    400x1 @ 4 ohms
    hope i was of some help...
    good luck
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    *vomits up his lunch*

i'd say something like "infinity makes the worst subs i'veheard in my life" ... but i cant... i was treated to Volfenhag's a few weeks ago when i was getting an oil change. Kid's like "it bumps ya ya" after his buddies and he had been staring at my truck with drool dripping from their chins. I later decided i would turn my "radio" on... and his Volfenhag-loving grin turned to a bitter frown. poor guy.

anyway...

Infinity Kappa's and kappa perfects have a common flaw -- bass... they dont have any.

the frequency response is pitiful... they start at like 35 hertz and go up. in a sealed box (Which are what the infinity subs are built for) .. that kind of a frequency repsonse will mean that your bass will not "hit" you at all.. it comes out dead and lifeless.... "flat" response is one thing - but dead is another.

not to mention power handling is aweful, they're built worse than the log cabin i built from lincoln logs when i was 3 years old, and the entire sub is an overpriced disaster waiting ot happen.

that being said... buy the momo... don't look back. dont pass go, dont collect 200 dollars, just buy the momo and dont even let the thought of infinity come back into your head.

one momo off 600 - 700 watts will beat the living tar out of two kappa 10's... kappa 10's wont take more than 200 rms on a good day... u gotta love kappa perfects ho they rate them -- "1400 max.. 350 rms" --- dman things might take 3 and a quarter before they go haywire... i've seen more infinity subs blown in the last few years than i would care to have seen in a lifetime.

the momo will stomp on the kappas, eat their lunch, steal theri car keys, ransack theirhouse, do the horizontal mambo with the kappa's daughter, and not even break a sweat.

... and to give u perspective -- i'm not even a big momo subwoofer fan...

far as amps -- cody pretty much covered it... but if i wanted to get hte most out of ONE momo 12 in its factory enclosure.. id' use a USAmps USA-600X

Class AB Amplifier
    Total Power Output: 600 Watts RMS
    THD at Rated Power: <0.006%
    Stereo Separation: >98dB
    Signal/Noise Ratio: 105dBA
    Frequency Response: 5Hz-50KHz
    Fuse Rating: 75 Amps
    Dimensions: (Including Terminals)
    62mm / 2.44in High
    229mm / 9.0in Wide
    368mm / 14.50in Long
    Weight: 3.63kg / 8.00lb
    Variable 24dB Low pass active Xover

Two Ohm Stable
    150 Watts x 2 into 4 Ohms
    600 Watts Bridged into 4 Ohms
    Available in Black or Chrome

you cant get much better than less than 0.006% thd... and these things are underrated...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge