Is this the right amp?

Options
Bigbang
Bigbang Posts: 233
edited June 2009 in 2 Channel Audio
Guys,

What do you think about this amp?

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/1227215314.html

I'm going to be using it in a 2ch setup with a smaller set of SDA's. Is it too small? Does it have enough current?

Thanks in advance.

David
I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.
Post edited by Bigbang on

Comments

• Bigbang
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Anybody?
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Which SDA's? What AVR are you going to use with it?
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • LessisNevermore
    LessisNevermore Posts: 1,519
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Price seems decent. The only possible red flag I see, is it has been modified. I would search around for info on the person who supposedly did the mods, etc. I wouldn't think that the smaller SDA's would be a problem for it.

I would want to hear it sing before purchase, just to be on the safe side.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited June 2009
    Options
    If it was in fact modded by Musical Concepts they do a good job from what I've read. I have no personal experience with Hafler...........but they have a good rep and, come on for $125 you can't go wrong.

I had 100wpc Adcom that made my SDA 1C's sing so no problems there. I say go for it.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Yeah.

For that kind of money. It would certainly be worth trying out. And A good way to get into separates if you haven't already......

Nick
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited June 2009
    Options
    That's a good amp... my father had one, i loved the way it sounded.

All yours. ;)

There was a nice adcom combo on Indy CL recently, might still be on there. Give you an Adcom amp and Preamp for a fair price. I'd look into that, too.

<EDIT>

I doubt this one is modified, by the way. It sounds like he just pulled the first review he came across on the internet and plugged it in there.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Bigbang
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Thanks Guys for the info.

d
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Bigbang,

Sounds like I great deal on the amp. I was looking at this same amp and a DH-100 and DH-101 preamp last week, but they were sold before I could get to them. You are probably already aware of this, but you need to make sure this is a common ground amp before using it or it could cause severe damage to the amp and speakers if it is not. The Hafler company was bought by another company when David Hafler died several years ago, but I forget who actually has the rights now. Apparently the company that does own the rights now offers service manuals, tech support, etc for Hafler products. Do a search on the board here and you should see the thread that discusses this so you can contact the company. Also you could try calling Musical Concepts who did the mods. I'm sure they could tell you if it's a common ground design or not.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited June 2009
    Options
    It appears by the way the ad is worded that it's doubtful Musical Concepts did an upgrade on this unit. I would ask the seller. Still at $125 if it's a working amp that's a great deal.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!