A or B amps?????

Options
STUFFMD
STUFFMD Posts: 381
edited March 2003 in Electronics
Hey does anybody know the basic differences, Pros and Cons between A and B class amps, I think I have even heard of AA amps. I can get a good deal on a Perreaux amp pre amp right now, Anybody have experience with Perreaux???? Even minor knowledge would help.
Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
NAD C270/ Mains
Mains: LSI9's
Center: Cs400i /Biwired
Rear: Fx300i
Rear Center:CS 245i
Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
Monster Originals/Center
Kimber Interconnects
Monster XP Everywhere else
PS2/Gamecube
Post edited by STUFFMD on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    http://www.audiolab.com/glossary/#C

Good, concise explanation of different amp classes.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Class A is as pure and clean as it gets. There is no such thing as Class AA, however Stereophile magazine has created a Class A+ for a few items, such as a $73,750 turntable and a few SACD players like the Sony SCD-XA777ES.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    F1, we are talking actual amp classes, not stereophile classes, right? Am I missing something?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Class A is as pure and clean as it gets. There

agreed but keep in mind these amps have very poor operating efficiencies. probably not good for a car application if my thinking is correct.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Russ,

Good question! I was speaking of amp classes in the first part of my post and the A+ class is a Stereophile rating only, not to be confused with the industry "Class" standards. You're not missing anything.

BTW, nice link.

HBomb,

I had at one time a pair of Soundstream amps in one of my trucks. They were rated at 60 wpc pure Class A and sounded very sweet. I would venture to quess that with today's demand for high wattage and high spl, that Class A amp's wouldn't fit the bill as all that clean power would be wasted on those who wouldn't appeciate it. Boom...Boooom...Boom....Boooom :rolleyes:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Technics had a line of amps they said were class AA. I forget their justification though.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I had no idea that Technics ever made anything considered Class A, but there is no Class AA in terms of industry standards.

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I don't think they made anything class A either. I've never seen anybody else claim this mystical AA standard.

Who needs industry standards when a good marketing ploy is so much more lucrative.

Editted because I damn well wanted to.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by gidrah
    Who needs industry standards when a good marketing ploy is so much more lucrative.

:lol:

President of Club Polk

• hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Technics had a line of recievers and amps that were class A in the 80's. I used to go to this audio store that I hung out at alot just to drool over the big boy receiver.:D
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut

:lol:

:lol::lol:

I'm crashing on that note.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys, Russ I have the Glossery on my favorites, thank you very much.
    Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center