speaker fade out

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
TO START OUT I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS STUFF. BUT I HAVE POLK 4X6 AND 6X9 TO REPLACE THE FACTORY SYSTEM.
ALSO HAVE KENWOOD HEAD UNIT. THE PROMBLE IS SOMETIME THE SPEAKERS FADE OUT THEY ARE NOT "BLOWING" I'VE HAD THEM CHECKED OUT. THE GUY TOLD ME THE HEAD UNIT MIGHT BE OVER HEATING WILL BUY AN AMP FIT THIS??

HEAD UNIT
RMS 22X4 WATTS

4X6
RMS 35 WATTS

6X9
RMS 70 WATTS

SEND ANSWERS OR COMMENTS TO
KIRB2326@AOL.COM
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    head unit over heating? pushign just 4 speakers..?? sounds like your best buy / circuit city guy is yankin your chain there.

more likely he f#cked up the wiring.

if you have internal amps in your car's factory system, or have any shorts in the wiring anywhere, it would cause the fading that you speak of.

before you go and buy an amp just to line his pockets, i'd take the time and run new 20 gauge speaker wire from the back of the head unit through the doors to your front speakers and then under the carpet and up the back wall to your rear speakers.

if then you still get this fading, then maybe it is hte head unit - in which case you're better off the buy a new head unit before you buy an amp... dont put a bandaid on it... if u just want more power then yes an amp is good, but if u're just trying to fix a clipping issue, then fix it, dont brush it under the carpet.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    What model of Kenwood head unit is it?

The non-eXcelon head units still use the older amplifier technology. When played loud for an extended period, they will over-heat and the head unit saves its self by lowering the volume itself. I used to think it was the speakers over-heating but it's the head unit. I had the problem myself.

How soon is the over-heating happening? If it happens very quickly, then you might want to check the clearances around the head unit behind the dash. If there isn't enough air space there, the head unit is going to overheat quickly.

An external amplifier will solve the problem but it is expensive, especially if you do not install it yourself. It involves alot more wiring and disassembling and reassembling the interior of the vehicle.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!