Music Hall Mambo Class A integrated amp

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
edited June 2009 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Near-mint, and extremely hard to find Music Hall Mambo 50wpc integrated amplifier. This is an amazing piece of gear. All 50wpc are in pure class A for a smooth, powerful presentation. Built in 24bit/96kHz upsampling DAC, using the Burr Brown PCM 1738 DAC and Crystal CS8420 sample rate converter, digitally controlled analog audio volume control, seriously over-built inside and out, including the remote which could do battle with the Jolida JD-100 remote and win, and heavy-duty Shanling-branded power cord. Weighing in at 50lbs, this amp is a monster and it sounds as good as it looks. The upsampling can be turned on or off via the remote. This is the replacement amp I bought when I feared my Ming Da tube integrated was irrepairable, but with the expert assistance of Scott Frankland (The Analog Room, San Jose, CA), I've got it back up and running. You see lot's of sellers saying "I hate to sell this", but I'm serious when I say that now. This is really an awesome piece of gear that I am sad to see go. I don't have much hope of it going here, but thought I'd give it a shot first. Original street price of $1299.
$625 shipped, final answer.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• GEBBY44
    GEBBY44 Posts: 939
    edited June 2009
    Beautiful piece. I always wanted to try one of these and I will someday. Looks like a great piece to use in a simple setup with a good cd player and some speaks. Good luck with the sale.
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2009
    It's definitely worthy to build any system around. The 50wpc of class A are worth a lot more than your 'normal' 50wpc, class AB or whatever. You get a little bit of the tube type warmth and smoothness going, definitely not the standard solid-state sound. And with the high quality DAC and upsampling, you can get by with just a transport if you choose. Almost like having an external DAC. All the op-amps for the preamp and DAC sections are on sockets too, so you can roll opamps if you choose. These sections are very well isolated from the rest of the electronics also, residing in a separate enclosure with a lid, inside the amp.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited June 2009
    I really like my A25, and this is an upgrade even from that, awesome deal on a great integrated
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I actually tried the A 25.2 first. I was pretty impressed with it, but then saw this. This was quite a bit better and would have qualified as a keeper if I hadn't been able to get my other amp working. The other possible choice would have been a tube pre and SS amp combo. I don't think I would have gone tube integrated again.
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2009
    Home from out of town bump.........
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2009
    Father's Day bump.........
    $550 plus shipping might give certain buyers a better deal depending on location.
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2009
    Weekend bump. This is a killer combination at this price point.
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2009
    BTW, to correct my original post, this amp does not weigh 50lbs like most of the reviews state. It weighs ~38lbs, which is still very beefy. I don't know where they got the 50lbs from. Packed weight is around 45lbs.
  • GEBBY44
    GEBBY44 Posts: 939
    edited June 2009
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2009
    This is SOLD, on the 'Gon.