Need Advice for a Ford E-150 System Setup

NWC4
NWC4 Posts: 5
edited June 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I need advice: I recently purchased a ’03 Ford E-150 hi-top conversion van. I am a high level quadriplegic. The middle row seats have been removed and this is where I sit in my chair – left of center and slightly in front of the rear bench. Even with the hi-top my head is 1.5” to 2” below the roof lining. This is where I would like the sweet spot.

I plan to replace the existing system and would like to go with PolkAudio speakers. I’ve had Polk’s in my home since the early ‘90’s and love them. Since I have no visibility to speak of I want a nice sound system.

Here’s the existing system setup:
A double din CD/cassette stereo.

There are 2 front door speakers, which seem to be the only ones run by the stereo.

There is an overhead 23” video monitor, approximately 30” in front of me with speakers on either side driven by the rear DVD player. There is also a small speaker about 16” from by left ear and one in the right side door which also seem to be driven by the DVD player.

Furthermore there are 2 rear door speakers and I’m not sure what’s driving them, if anything.

Speaker holes: front door – none, rear door 8” x 5” oval, either side of the monitor 7.5” x 3.5” at the middle and 2” wide at the top and bottom (this is a glossy walnut panel I’d rather not cut)

I did run the Polk Car Fit Guide.

Here’s the plan outline and my questions:
An Alpine, Pioneer Premier, or Kenwood (I’ve also Eclipse are good, but not familiar w/them.) CD stereo, iPod ready, possibly touchscreen. I have read Ford’s double din slot can be a smidge smaller than aftermarket stereos. Anyone know if this is true for a ’03 E-150?

For speakers I’m thinking the SR5250’s, MM5251’s or MM571. Can/should I use a mix of them? Should I also install an amp? If so, any recommendations?

Replace the front door speakers, they are behind the door panel. Will any Polk’s even fit or will the panel need to be cut?

Replace the speakers on either side of the monitor. Nix the speaker next to my left ear and side door speaker.

Do something with the rear. Either replace the rear door or change the location, possibly hang them from the rear cabinet or from the side wall. My concern here is first, I don’t care to put nice speakers in a door and second I’d be driving nice speaker into a bench seat. Any thoughts on the best solution? Could I hang the RM8’s in the rear?

I would then have and audio/video switcher to switch the speakers between the stereo and DVD player.

As an aside I am thinking about placing a video camera on the dash and running it to the monitor since I have no visibility.

Sorry for the length, but I figure the more info, the better the advice. :D
Post edited by NWC4 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2009
    NWC4 wrote: »
    Here’s the plan outline and my questions:
    An Alpine, Pioneer Premier, or Kenwood (I’ve also Eclipse are good, but not familiar w/them.) CD stereo, iPod ready, possibly touchscreen. I have read Ford’s double din slot can be a smidge smaller than aftermarket stereos. Anyone know if this is true for a ’03 E-150?

Its actually a 1.5 din, not a true double din. So you will have to do quite a bit of modification for a double din to fit
    For speakers I’m thinking the SR5250’s, MM5251’s or MM571. Can/should I use a mix of them? Should I also install an amp? If so, any recommendations?
    Go with the best speakers you can afford. But putting an amp on them should be a priority, even if that means going from the SRs to the MMs. You should also throw in some sound deadening as well.
    Replace the front door speakers, they are behind the door panel. Will any Polk’s even fit or will the panel need to be cut?
    No door panel cutting required.
    Replace the speakers on either side of the monitor. Nix the speaker next to my left ear and side door speaker.

Do something with the rear. Either replace the rear door or change the location, possibly hang them from the rear cabinet or from the side wall. My concern here is first, I don’t care to put nice speakers in a door and second I’d be driving nice speaker into a bench seat. Any thoughts on the best solution? Could I hang the RM8’s in the rear?
    I'd have to see it to see what youre explaining, can you snap any pics?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • NWC4
    edited June 2009
    Hi Cody,

Thanks for your quick response.

Forgive my ignorance:
    When you say sound dampening are you speaking of insulation beteween the paneling and outter wall?

Would I be better off going with higher-end speakers in front and rear and leaving the monitor speakers for DVD's only? Or go with all 6 running off the stereo? I will rarely watch DVD's, only using it on rare long trips.

Can you give me an idea of what I should be looking for in an amp and which amps (brands) I should investigate?

Dido with stereos in light of the 1 and a half din?

Obviously I won't be doing the install, so I would like to make it as simple as possible to cut down labor cost.

I have attached a few pictures to give you a visual of what I'm working with.

Thanks,
    Dean
  • exalted512
    edited June 2009
    By the monitor speakers, are you referring to the ones up by the TV? Are you replacing those? What size are they? Do you know yet what you're replacing them with?
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited June 2009
    This is what I'm referring to for sound deadening:
    http://secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier-pro.php
    -Cody
  • joshua.anderson
    joshua.anderson Posts: 4
    edited June 2009
    that is looking like a double din head unit bro.
    i would say pick what ever head unit you want/like, get a mounting bracket for it if its not a double din, and put it in.
    your front door speakers are being powered by your head unit, as well as your rear speakers.
    if your looking at getting some aftermarket speakers, run your speaker wires from your head unit to a 4 channel amplifier (check the power rating to make sure your amp wont over power your speakers).
    doing this, you will have to run the other wires for your amp, such as remote, power, switch, and ground DONT FORGET RCA from head unit to amp.
    once that is all hooked up, go ahead an send wires from each channel of your amp to each of your new speakers.
    your good to go.
    that will give you your new head unit and your 4 speakers.
    you wanna little more kick? get a subwoofer.
    also, this can be pretty tricky.
    if you don't know what you are doing, i would leave it to professionals.
    it is electrical....any questions, go ahead and shoot me a quick one.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2009
    Cody, Ford vans have double DIN head units for the standard radio with CD changer. There is no place else to mount them when configured as a work van so the head unit has a double DIN form factor to house the changer internally.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • NWC4
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Boys!

Cody, yes I was speaking of the speaker along side the monitor.

Joshua, being clueless is the easy part, it's the whole paralyezed from neck down thing that's hampering me! :D

Here's what I'm going with for Phase I:
    Pioneer AVIC-F90BT
    Alpine PDX4.150
    Polk Audio SR5250 (1 set in the front doors, 2nd set along side the monitor)
    Sound damping
    Kenwood back-up camera (mounted on the dash outputing to the monitor, so I can see something)

Phase II
    Alpine PDX4.150
    Polk Audio SR5250 in the rear doors
    Pioneer TSSW1001S

All the wiring for Phase II will be done in Phase I and left in the overhead cabinet for completion. Assuming UPS delievers the parts tomorrow CarToys will start the install on Sunday! :)

Thanks again!
  • exalted512
    edited June 2009
    That is a 1.5 DIN radio. You can fit a double din in there, but you have to do a lot of cutting. With the F-90BT, you shouldnt see any of the cuts though, as its all where the radio mounts to, not the trim that you see around the radio.
    -Cody
  • NWC4
    edited June 2009
    Sounds good. Thanks Cody.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2009
    No problem. For 'phase 1', I would assume you're looking around $600-650 for the labor, not including any parts you might need.
    -Cody
  • NWC4
    edited June 2009
    No, it actually a little more the double for Phase I. Originally they said $1600, but can down some. The area I live in is more pricey than other areas around Seattle which has higher prices in general.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2009
    Holy crap! I was just pricing for what our store would charge, and we're a little on the high side on some things!

I could see it getting more expensive depending on where you want the second set (the ones by the monitor).

Also, I didn't include any parts, that can run the bill up a little. Have you got a 2nd quote from somewhere else? I cant fathom it'd be that much.
    -Cody