Is Mix (Audio Out) for subwoofer?

MrGlobe
MrGlobe Posts: 401
edited February 2012 in Electronics
Hello,

I have a Sony STR-D965 and on the back there is a Mix out, that says 'Audio Out' underneath it. It is an RCA type out. Is this for a subwoofer?

Thanks
Post edited by MrGlobe on

Comments

• thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited June 2009
    Found a manual on Sony's web site. The Mix Out on the reciever goes to an Active Woofer. So other than it saying "Connecting an active woofeer will increase base response" There is very little detail on this.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited June 2009
    here is the URL I went to and clicked under support by type for Manuals-specs-warranty

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=STRD965
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited June 2009
    Yes
    http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRD965.PDF

Page 7 Under "active woofer" on the left side of the page.

sonwoofer.jpg
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • MrGlobe
    edited June 2009
    Nice! Thanks a ton guys!

I did connect it and it sounds good, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again
  • Tech_E
    Tech_E Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to dig up an old post, but I am having the same problem... MrGlobe, which subwoofer did you use and what type of wire did you use to connect the two? Thank you!
  • MrGlobe
    edited February 2012
    Sorry to not have seen your reply for so long. I would have been using a powered Boston Acoustic 8" 100w subwoofer I think, otherwise a Jamo. In either case, I would have been using a standard RCA cable to connect the receiver and the subwoofer.
  • I know it’s an old post but I hope you can help me out. I have a Sony ta-av571 with a mix out connection. How do I connect a subwoofer to it using a raw cable?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    You don't. Needs to be an rca cable for an active subwoofer.
  • I’ve seen speaker wire with a rca end and a raw wire end. You don’t think that would work?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    edited September 2020
    Which sub are you using?
    Yeah, what Dave says - you need an RCA cable, both ends. What you might be talking about doing with the RCA and raw on the other end would be mixing line level into speaker level, which you don't do.

Give us some more info and we can help you out.
    I disabled signatures.
  • I have a pair of kef uno-q series tower speakers. 6.5 2 way speaker on top and 2 dual 6.5 subwoofers on each tower. It has separate wire connections for the 2 way speaker and for the subwoofers. Is there a way I can utilize the mix audio rca with those speakers?
  • msg
    There should be labels with model numbers on all your stuff. It's unclear what you're working with at this point.

Sometimes there are speakers with powered subs built-in, but I'm not familiar with KEF enough to know from your description whether this is what you have.

In short, for you to benefit from the Mix-Out/Sub-Out, you need a powered/active subwoofer. If you are using standard floor standing speakers without powered subs built into them and you don't have a separate subwoofer to use, that Mix-Out jack is of no use to you.

If you're not getting any bass from your speakers, it could be a configuration in the Sony, or maybe missing jumpers on the KEF speaker terminals if they have four posts.

This is all speculation without model numbers or pictures.

I disabled signatures.
  • I’m getting bass but not wat I’m use to seeing my kefs do. I had a Sony receiver that had a subwoofer out speaker connection but it died on me. And the Sony receiver I replaced it with dosent have a raw subwoofer connection. I might just have to go on the hunt for a receiver like my old one. Thanks again for your help
  • msg
    Which model speakers?

Have you factory reset that replacement receiver? I'd start there. The could be something in the speaker config that's not letting your KEFs run full range.

What did you have the sub out connected to with the old receiver?

Was that old receiver part of a system with a subwoofer and satellite speakers?

Did the subwoofer out on that old receiver have an RCA jack or speaker terminals?

Really need the whole picture to be able to help.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Sorry for late response but my old receiver have subwoofer terminals for my kef speakers have speaker wires they are non rca jacks. And as far as my old receiver I couldn’t factory reset it because it wouldn’t power on. I’m thinking I need a receiver like the Sony av561 which has a subwoofer wire terminal in it or any receiver that has a terminal for the subwoofer not a rca jack subwoofer terminal.