new car = new stereo system

cecil
cecil Posts: 3
edited June 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just bought a 2009 HHR and I'm in need of an upgrade. I already have 2 mtx T5512-44 in a bandpass box and a kenwood kac-9104d with a 1 fared cap, and I was thinking about getting 4 polk MM6501 and a PA 500.4 to power them, and a jensen VM9412 In-dash DVD receiver with an aditional 15" display for in the back.

any suggestions on improvements?
Post edited by cecil on

Comments

• Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited June 2009
    Get rid of the cap, if you find yourself having problems with your electrical, invest the money into a gel battery and/or replacement alternator.

Also, I would suggest something other than a Jensen HU, try for an Alpine, Eclipse or Pioneer (as funds permit of course).

Welcome to Club Polk, enjoy your stay.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • ahardy17
    ahardy17 Posts: 84
    edited June 2009
    Poee7R wrote: »
    Get rid of the cap, if you find yourself having problems with your electrical, invest the money into a gel battery and/or replacement alternator.

Also, I would suggest something other than a Jensen HU, try for an Alpine, Eclipse or Pioneer (as funds permit of course).

Welcome to Club Polk, enjoy your stay.

Dave

why would you suggest getting rid of a capacitor?
    In-Car:
    Head Unit: Sony MEX-1GP
    Door speakers: Infinity Kappa 680.9cs
    Rear speakers: Polk db690
    Subwoofers: Memphis Audio 15-M3124
    Amps: Pioneer GM5300T, Kenwood KAC 6020, Memphis Audio MCD1.1100

In-Home:
    Harmon/Kardon AVR 230
    Harmon/Kardon DVD 101
    Yamaha RX-V995
    Bose 161
    Bose 901
    Polk FXi30
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited June 2009
    ahardy17 wrote: »
    why would you suggest getting rid of a capacitor?

Capacitors are band-aids. To truly FIX the issue of voltage drop, it's better to fix it where the source is and get a better alternator.

You MAY be able to get by with doing the "Big 3" wiring upgrade. I know it made a HUGE difference on my car.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • cecil
    edited June 2009
    the problem with buying a better alternator is that I can't even get a factory replacement at a local auto parts store yet, not to mention a better one, and I don't really have the money to spend on a custom alternator. although if someone can tell me a place online where I could get one for a good price, its an 2009 HHR LT 2.2l
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited June 2009
    ohiogenerator.

or find a generator shop that can rewind yours.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • Poee7R
    edited June 2009
    Im not sure who would be making one for your car yet. But as was mentioned, doing the "big 3" would help, as would going for a high output battery.

Either Optima or Kinetic batteries would be my choice. Doing the battery and the big 3, could work well until you get the money to get the alternator replaced. Hell it may just be all that you need to be honest.

Here is some info on the big 3:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152355

I'm not sure if doing it would void your warranty, but I dont think it would, you may want to inquire of course.

Dave
  • ahardy17
    ahardy17 Posts: 84
    edited June 2009
    well a capacitor wouldn't hurt anything would it? i mean if it's already there might as well keep it i would think...
    In-Car:
    Head Unit: Sony MEX-1GP
    Door speakers: Infinity Kappa 680.9cs
    Rear speakers: Polk db690
    Subwoofers: Memphis Audio 15-M3124
    Amps: Pioneer GM5300T, Kenwood KAC 6020, Memphis Audio MCD1.1100

In-Home:
    Harmon/Kardon AVR 230
    Harmon/Kardon DVD 101
    Yamaha RX-V995
    Bose 161
    Bose 901
    Polk FXi30
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited June 2009
    A capacitor is just another drain on your system. Most caps have enough energy for one (1) bass hit and they are drained. Then they spend the rest of the time trying to refill (hence it being a drain). It fights the rest of your system for power.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • cecil
    edited June 2009
    ok the battery and big 3 thing, sounds like it would really help. any one have any thoughts on universal alternators?
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited June 2009
    Definately look at alpine or pioneer, both make great decks right now. I still love my Alpine IWA200 double din dvd player, no navigation, but decent ipod control and great cd playback, you can find them used for 2-300. :)
  • Poee7R
    edited June 2009
    cecil wrote: »
    ok the battery and big 3 thing, sounds like it would really help. any one have any thoughts on universal alternators?

Universal's are ok, just need to get a bracket manufactured. You could try a local machine shop and see what they say about making one for you.

And let me suggest these guys for your alternator, they are the ****.

http://www.mean-green.com/index.html

Dave