Is my combo going to work for me?

soyster89
soyster89 Posts: 6
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I need some input from my fellow Polk heads! I just purchased 2 of the 12" GNX 4-ohm subs and have a Punch 301S to power them in a duel 1.25 cu. ft. enclosure. Is this combo going to be ok? If not, what do you recommend I do?

Thanks a million!

---Jason in Minnesota
Post edited by soyster89 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    no, your combo will not work...

the box is perfect

the amp is wrong

you have single 4 ohm coil subs... that means that in parallel, they will be a 2 ohm load...

now the 301S does 300 x 1 at 4 ohms... so that's 150 per sub (which is ok) but they make a 2 ohmload, not a four ohm load, so you'll overheat the amp or drive it beyond its specifications / limitations...

you need to do one of hte following

1- swap the 301S out for a 301M ...
    2- swap the gnx single 4 ohm coil subs out for gnx dual 4 ohm coil subs.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • soyster89
    edited March 2003
    This is the profile that Crutchfield gives for the 301M amp...

string together two 4-ohm subwoofers, dial in a low-frequency boost (up to 12 dB at 45 Hz), and get ready for 300 watts RMS (at 2 ohms) of seat-shakin' bass voodoo!

So, doesn't this basically say exactly what you said wouldn't work? Thanks for the help!
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited March 2003
    You could prescribe to Murphy's law for amps.
    "Try it. If it burns up, you needed a new one anyways"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by soyster89
    So, doesn't this basically say exactly what you said wouldn't work? Thanks for the help!

nope soyster...

You stated that you had a rockford 301 S ...

"I just purchased 2 of the 12" GNX 4-ohm subs and have a Punch 301Sto power "

there are two 301 amps.... one is a 301 S.... one is a 301 M (prolly a 301X too but anyway)... the 301 M is for two 4 ohm subs.. the 301 S is for 2 8 ohm (or dual 4 ohm) subs.

S is for stereo... M is for mono... 2 channel class AB versus 1 channel class D

if you look carefully at my reply... you'll notice i made that distinction....
    "you need to do one of hte following

1- swap the 301S out for a 301M ...
    2- swap the gnx single 4 ohm coil subs out for gnx dual 4 ohm coil subs."[/B]

the M is the proper amp - as crutchfield states - for those subs. the S, however, is not. if you have an S, do not judge it by the ratings of the M, they are not the same amp, and you will fry the S with those two subs... the M,however, will be perfect.
  • soyster89
    edited March 2003
    I see what you mean....bare with me, I'm a rookie! lol

So far, this is the equipment I have in my 99' Accord

Deck: Alpine 7893
    Speakers: Alpine 1629 6 1/2's, Eclipse 6X9's
    Amp: Punch 301S (waiting for my 301M from Crutchfield!)
    Subs: 1 12" Kicker Comp (2 12" Polk GNX's on the way!)
    Enclosure: single 12" bandpass (duel 12" sealed box on the way!)

Is there anything else I can add to this?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    well.. u can use what u have... and make an alteration

take that 301S u got and run it in 2 channel stereo

wire your front left and rear left to the amp's LEFT channel and your front right and rear right to the amp RIGHT channel

this will make that amp run at 2 ohms, giving u 150 x 2 (actually 75 to each speaker.. since 2 speakers per channel).

you wont have any front to rear fader control, but at least you'll be dumping a crap load of power onto your highs, and they'll happily scream back at you nice and loud and clear.

... or sell it and get a 4 channel. other than that, i think u about covered all the bases for now... looks like a good system. :)