New Polk System

cwv
cwv Posts: 2
edited June 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Greetings everyone! I'm obviously new here, but I've looked around and there is a wealth of knowledge here! I've already answered some of my questions just by looking at other posts. However, I do have some residual questions.

Firstly, I should supply you with my information. I recently obtained a 94 Buick Roadmaster sedan. I'm looking to put a decently nice system without totally breaking my wallet. It doesn't have stock speakers, but they might as well be. It already has a JVC KD s690 for a head unit with specs of:

Built-In Amplifier RMS Power 4 x 17 Watts RMS
Built-In Amplifier Power 4 x 45 Watt.

I have ordered:

(1) SR124DVC 12"
(1) PA1200.1 Monoblock Amplifier

On with the questions:

1. am i over powering my sub?

2. where should I get an enclosure for this sub? And would I be correct in thinking a sealed box would go best? MDF is good right?

3. I think its imperative i change my headunit, I wanna go with Kenwood KDC-HD942U because it has 4v to the preamp. is this wise? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113HD942U/Kenwood-KDC-HD942U.html?tp=5684

4. i also want to get some speakers of the door and rear deck. should i get a different amp to power these? if i cant afford the amp right off, can i still just get the speakers? (will go with mm5251 or db6501 that have crossovers)

5. is there anything i'm overlooking?

Thanks for your advise!
Post edited by cwv on

Comments

• black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited June 2009
    Good choice on the sub and amp. Soon I will have that amp powering my two sr subs as well.

1. You will be slightly over-powering your sub but it can handle the power as long as you're careful with the gain.

2. I think it'd be best to build your own enclosure using at least 3/4" MDF. That way you can get the exact dimensions that you want and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.

3. Dont know much about that HU but Kenwood makes solid stuff.

4. Upgrading your speakers is also a good idea. I'd say go for the mobile monitor line over the db's. Although its highly recommended to amplify your speakers as well, you dont HAVE to. In the mean time, I'd say get the speakers now and amplify them whenever you get an amp.

In case you're interested, I have a pair of 5.25" speakers from the momo line (mmc525) that I'm no longer using. I can give them to you free if you pay shipping. I'll probably be selling my 4-channel momo amp (c400.4) as well sometime this summer because I want to upgrade. When I decide to sell it, I'll let you know because I'm willing to let it go cheap to help someone out.

Good luck with everything and let us know if have any questions.