*Help: Upgrading speaker system in GMC Sierra (will amp and speakers match?)

wewjr32
wewjr32 Posts: 11
edited June 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra truck that I am looking to upgrade the speakers in because I just recently blew out one of my front door speakers. Right now I have two 10" Bostwick subs under my back seat being run by a Rockford Fosgate amp. The subs definitely overpower the factory speaker set-up I have right now.

I am looking at replacing all the speakers in the car with the polk db series (I know this is their lowest end but unfortunately this is all that will fit my budget).

I was planning on going with a pair of db651s slim fit 6.5" for the front door. [this is what the fit my car guide recommended, they would only need additional brackets]

Then for the rear pillar I was planning on adding a pair of db461p.

To run all these speakers I was going to add a PA 200.4 amp.

Overall the system would look like:
2 x db651s
2 x db461p
Which would then all be run by a PA 200.4 amp.

Does this setup look like the speakers will all receive sufficient power compared to their ratings? Is this a good match for an upgraded speaker system?

I'm kinda new to all this so any and all advice would be more than helpful. I bought the sub's used off a friend who had made a custom box so that they fit easily under my backseat but I want to get the full potential out my trucks system now. The added bass was nice at first but I seem to have lost any nice high's and mid's.

Also looking to the future, what would be the best way to wire this system? And if anyone else has a truck and has done a similar setup, any ideas on where to mount this amp would be greatly appreciated. I already have no room under the back seats so I am going to have to get creative with this.

Sorry this was so long, just hoping to get it all right before I make a big purchase. Thanks for the help!
Post edited by wewjr32 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2009
    Instead if wasting money on your rear speakers, upgrade to the components in the front. Sound is recorded in stereo (2 channels) so having 4 speakers in 4 locations only skews the sound. Run them off a 2-channel amp and get a dynamat door kit. You'll lose road noise and get better sound, win-win.

You can mount the amp on the back wall. You do have to remove the rear seat, which consists of a few 18mm nuts.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • wewjr32
    edited June 2009
    Thanks. I did consider putting the components in the front but for starters the car fit guide directed me to the slim fit db's? Also I was concerned that I would not have enough space to mount the crossovers? Do you have any experience to help guide me with putting a component system in the front door of a similar truck?

Thats a good idea to mount the amp on the back wall like that. I never even thought of using that space. Only concern that I would see by doing that is if it would have enough room to "breathe" so that it won't overheat? Also is it alright to mount them vertically like that, I know I've read some things that say you should only mount them flat, horizontally for best performance.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2009
    You'll be fine with the fitment. Those chevy's have almost infinite mounting depth as the speaker is in front of the window track, which the window is the limiting factor in most cars. I have 8s in the doors of my 04 which is essentially the same door as you and have no depth issues.

The only crappy thing about crossovers is that you have to fish wires into the doors through the grommet. Sears has this wonderful tool that makes it very easy though:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00941322000P?keyword=pick+up+tool

Or, you can use a wire coat hanger. From there, you can mount the crossovers anywhere. Near the amp (but you have to run to long strands of speaker wire for tweeter and mid), ziptied up in the dash, or you can trim out the insulation under the carpet and put it there. If you trim out the insulation, you cant really tell its under there.

You wont have any problems mounting the amps there. I do it all the time and have never had any heat issues. But the lower you mount the amp, the better cooling it will have (as the top of the seat is closer to the back wall than the bottom).

You will also have no problems mounting it vertically. I've honestly never even heard that before, and it would be extremely stupid of a manufacturer to build an amp that would over heat if mounted vertically as half the installs I do, that is how the amp is mounted. Most manufacturers say you shouldnt mount an amplifier horizontally, but upside done...which makes sense, but vertically? Any reputable manufacturer of amps will have no problems.
    -Cody
  • wewjr32
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the advice. Thats really helpful. Now I guess I just have to decide if I want to make the install easier by going with the slim db's or go ahead and get the components and go for a bit of a challenge, haha.
  • wewjr32
    edited June 2009
    How much of a difference would I see between using the slim fit db coaxial speakers (db651s) versus the component db speakers (db6501)?

In other words, would it really be worth the upgraded speakers and tougher install to go with the component over the coaxial set? Regardless I will be running either set off a PA 200.4 amp.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2009
    I think the hour more it will take to install it is well worth the countless hours you will be listening to it.
    -Cody
  • wewjr32
    edited June 2009
    Alright, well I guess I might give it a shot then.

Does anyone have any experience with mounting a component system in the front door of this model truck/tahoe? Its not the newest model but one right before that, they came out with in 2000. I've heard that the 6.5" speakers just pop right in no problem but that the tweeters can be a pain?
  • exalted512
    edited June 2009
  • wewjr32
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, thats what the front end/cab looks like. Back doesn't have the step in the bed but i don't think that matters. This is almost the same one: http://images.cars.com/main/DMI/189037/G0-0487.jpg but I've added some upgrades, haha.
  • rickytwo
    rickytwo Posts: 3
    edited June 2009
    I just did this about 30 minutes ago and I'll tell you that it is no problem. I have a 2000 Sierra reg cab and if yours is like mine you already have a spot there for the tweeter. Just mount it and your ready to go.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2009
    Yes, you actually have a factory tweeter in there. You can make a housing out of some hardboard or something, take the factory tweeter out (its in the door under the grill), put your new housing there, then use a hole saw to make a hole for your new tweeter.
    -Cody