stealthbox?

chu
chu Posts: 178
edited June 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm currently running a pair sr5250s and mm840 sub. Atm, the sub is sufficient for my needs; however, I know it could be better.

My question is, is it possible to construct a custom stealthbox to fit a single sr10' or 12'(hopeful wishing with that one hahaha)? I would grab a jl stealth box, but the only offering is the w3-10'. Newayz, I've talk to 2 local dealers, but they said it was just to heavy or big to fit something like that. I have a toyota tundra if that helps any.
Post edited by chu on

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited June 2009
    anything is possible just depends on how far you want to take it :) if you have an extra cab you could always build a box for under the rear seat and re mount the seat might be a bit higher when done. or build a whole new seat/sub enclosure for the rear' it's all in the vision. and the wallet i suppose lol
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • chu
    edited June 2009
    ntculenuff wrote: »
    anything is possible just depends on how far you want to take it :) if you have an extra cab you could always build a box for under the rear seat and re mount the seat might be a bit higher when done. or build a whole new seat/sub enclosure for the rear' it's all in the vision. and the wallet i suppose lol

Thx for the response, but space is an issue for my truck. And that is why I want something like a stealth box where I can just stick it at the center console without comprising too much space.

I have an access cab, and I have the mm840 fit snuggly under one of the back seats, and its near impossible to fit another bigger sub in that space (4in depth). Maybe the local dealers suck here, and just don't want the challenge???
  • ntculenuff
    edited June 2009
    i've seen my buddy build some incredible center consoles for subs complete with cup holders and storage. just start heading to your local stereo shops and checking out some of there installers work and just talk with them and you'll find some one up for the challange
    Speakers:
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • chu
    edited June 2009
    ntculenuff wrote: »
    i've seen my buddy build some incredible center consoles for subs complete with cup holders and storage. just start heading to your local stereo shops and checking out some of there installers work and just talk with them and you'll find some one up for the challange

I wish your buddy was here, so I don't have to go all around town looking for someone to make this happen! :/
  • ntculenuff
    edited June 2009
    chu wrote: »
    I wish your buddy was here, so I don't have to go all around town looking for someone to make this happen! :/

i hear, that damn audio horrible hobby :p
    Speakers:
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2009
    You could always look into a beefier 8" sub.

You could take a Kicker L7 8" and put it in a .33 ft3 box and hook it up to a quality 500 watt amp. That would give you plenty of MUSICAL output. It wont win any SPL awards but for music, it will be plenty especially in a small truck like yours.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • chu
    edited June 2009
    MacLeod wrote: »
    You could always look into a beefier 8" sub.

You could take a Kicker L7 8" and put it in a .33 ft3 box and hook it up to a quality 500 watt amp. That would give you plenty of MUSICAL output. It wont win any SPL awards but for music, it will be plenty especially in a small truck like yours.

Thx for the suggestion, but the sub is too big to fit into my small enclosure in the back. I really don't care for spl, I listen to drum and bass. So good quality strong lows is a must! Don't get me wrong, the 8'momos are great, but its not where I want it.

I'll give it two more days of searching. If I can't find anyone, I think I'll settle for a custom box oi!
  • chu
    edited June 2009
    I'm curious if there are any installers/builders here, I was wondering how much would it run me to create a box for either a sr 10' or 12' in the back, fiberglass would work best no?