Does removing the faceplate actually deter thieves?

cnjvh
cnjvh Posts: 253
edited June 2009 in Car Audio & Electronics
For Kenwood at least you can simply order a new one from the online store. Is removing the faceplate actually a deterrent? Has anyone had a head unit stolen even though the faceplate was removed?
No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
Front: Polk Audio RTi12
Center: Polk Audio CSi5
Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
AVR: Denon AVR-3805
Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
STB: Xfinity X1DVR
Post edited by cnjvh on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2009
    I don't know if fact backs this up, but most thieves go for the easiest and most painless hits they can. If they see a car without a faceplate and the next one has one, which one do you think they'll hit?

Now, just to prove myself wrong - I had my car broken into once with the faceplate off (this was MANY years ago, and since then have rarely bothered to remove the faceplate or do any other preventative things other than locking my door). I'm pretty sure it was just vandalism, not theft - they tore the stereo out of the dash but left it dangling - but still obviously not a deterrent to the crime, regardless of what the crime was.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited June 2009
    I only one ugraded my car's head unit so I could have a CD player. Never had it broken into but that may be why I don't put any money into my car system. I would assume that if you had a good stereo in it you would be at a higher risk of getting your car broken into.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2009
    Well, the thing with that is most people is that they dont take the face plate with them, they put it under the seat, in a center console, or in the glove box. With that, if a thief sees you have no face plate, it probably means that its a radio worth stealing.

So to answer your question, I guess it depends on the thief.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • cnjvh
    cnjvh Posts: 253
    edited June 2009
    I do always take it with me so hopefully as was stated above it just makes it more trouble than its worth to the thief.
    No earth robot is going to tell ME which button to press!!

--Stuff--
    Front: Polk Audio RTi12
    Center: Polk Audio CSi5
    Surrounds: Polk Audio RTi8 (x4)
    Sub: SVS PB10-ISD (Dual)
    AVR: Denon AVR-3805
    Blu-Ray: Panasonic BD30
    Display: Sony KDL-55NX720B
    STB: Xfinity X1DVR
  • myork
    myork Posts: 71
    edited June 2009
    Didnt deter the **** who caused $800 worth of damage to my door ($1800 total) in order to steal my headunit.
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited June 2009
    I would say no. Thieves steal anything and everything. My bro had his HU stolen out of his civic at least 5 times. With and without the faceplate detached. I'd say a bigger factor to whether or not it gets stolen is where you leave your car.