Unbreakable

-justin-
-justin- Posts: 891
edited October 2001 in Music & Movies
Watched "Unbreakable" last night. The two thoughts I had through the whole movie:

1] Where is the action? We don't even get to see the train wreck.
2] When is something cool going to happen (punch through walls, fly...something)

Even as the movie progressed toward the end, I was a little disappointed.

I would NOT buy this DVD for my collection, but overall I thought it was an "ok" movie to watch once.

~JB
Post edited by -justin- on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2001
    I enjoyed this movie extremely. Very, very well done. Much better than 6th Sense, IMO. A real-life superhero. Give me this type of superhero movie over the X-Men type anyday.

Peace out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    I thought it was greatness, I went 'OOOOOOHHHH' at the end....

Very cool, I really dug it....

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2001
    Ron, man, you have the coolest home theater I have ever seen, and the WEIRDEST movie taste of anyone I know! "Unbreakable" BETTER than "6th Sense"? It just isn't so.

T6S was strikingly original in construction and interestingly directed and moodily shot. An all around engaging, strangely engaging film. It delivered. "Unbreakable," while slightly interesting and well shot, was ultimately a predictable letdown -- I mean, okay; it's an interesting, new twist on the superhero myth and storytelling, like it's the anti-Superman. But... You know, it just wasn't as good as T6S, period. I'm sick of having to always provide "reasons." What I say goes, end of story. :cool:

And Justin, you know you're going to have to watch it again when you get a real TV. It's better when your screen is bigger than 19", but then so is anything. Happy birthday!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited October 2001
    dude it is a thinking mans movie!

scott:cool:
  • Micah Cohen
    edited October 2001
    "2001." "12 Monkeys." "Memento." Those are thinking-man's movies. "Unbreakable" is a comic book movie. Think "Batman."

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited October 2001
    Ron, man, you have the coolest home theater I have ever seen, and the WEIRDEST movie taste of anyone I know! "Unbreakable" BETTER than "6th Sense"?

Uhhh.....Ummm, thanks Micah.....I think.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited October 2001
    Micah: Thanks, wow, birthday fun for me!
    dude it is a thinking mans movie!

You're right, I THOUGHT it was bland. Maybe a Matrix-like battle between the good and evil guys would have saved this one. But instead, they just tell you, "Well, they locked him up, and the other guy is just doing ordinary stuff..." Bllaaaaaaahhhhh

~JB
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2001
    This DVD has now been officially deleted from my "BUY" list.
    Thanks for saving me $20. I'll go rent it instead.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited October 2001
    I dont know..I thought it was a killer movie... I myself liked it better then 6sense.... goes to show..we all have different tastes.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2001
    I didn't think it was that bad per se, I just thought it was predictable. Good entertainment but there was nothing that really took me by surprise. Worth a rental I think....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited October 2001
    just my humble 'newbie/polkie' thoughts, but i thought this was an excellently done movie. much better than the 6th sense. 6th sense, i watched twice. once in the theater, and once again after i bought the dvd. i really have never had a desire to watch this movie again. i saw unbreakable twice in the theater, and already 3 times since i've owned it. it is a much better watch over and over again movie than the 6th sense, IMHO anyway.
  • rmcard
    rmcard Posts: 13
    edited October 2001
    I don't think Unbreakable pulled it all together, and I bet its one of those things where he wishes he could have another crack at it in 5 years... but the movie was entertaining, engaging, and beautiful to watch... and Willis was excellent, as usual... the story just needed some re-working... there was so much left untouched... especially the subplot between he and his wife.

and my friend made the best point... he is unbreakable.. but he is bald... guess superhero gentics don't cover follicles.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited October 2001
    Great director. No question. But if his next film isn't something different, he'll he a "has been" and these two will be flukes. (Like "Star Wars." Just figured I'd toss that nugget into the mix.)

See Sam Raimi's catalog for an example of a bright young upstart who has parlayed his serious talent into some serious filmmaking, ie: "A Simple Plan" and "The Gift."

>> but he is bald << LOL!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• rmcard
    rmcard Posts: 13
    edited October 2001
    i thought it was pretty good...

but it was worth watching for 2 reasons.

I am not normally the kind of guy that will sit through a movie just to see nudity, but this was katie Holmes, and for her i will make the exception.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited October 2001
    Yeah, the Katie Holmes nudity was almost the most shocking thing about the film -- who knew she was so... tall. I mean, it wasn't a GREAT FILM. It was adequate, buoyed along by great acting (and great nudity on Holmes' part).

But the key here is that Sam Raimi is the same guy who did the wonderfully wacky and hilarious "Evil Dead" movies, with all those superb "new" in-your-face camera tricks which I equate with M. Knight's superb "new" backwards-story writing tricks. Raimi has taken his experiences and molded his talent into the telling of more straightforward stories, and using it to evoke a specific mood, and all that film-class jazz.

Hopefully, M. Knight's next outing will be a little deeper, a little more accomplished, and little less one-trick.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com