my first impreshon of stryke force

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited March 2003 in Speakers
just got done watching my first move after demoing some other ones and the bass has changed.

it is louder at times but not as much due to the flat fr of the design. the bass fills the room with ease. it is clean crisp and punchy. it even feels more smoth. the differance between my velo and the new stryke is like drinking good tequla and fine aged tequla. it also blends much more beter with the rest of the system.

i have not pushed the subs very hard maybe a peak of 95-100 so far. i usaly dont turn the ht up that much unless demoing for a frend or watching movies with friends.

i would post some pics but my digital camera was barrowed and i dont get it till tuesday.
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Excellent! Sounds like a good maiden voyage. When will you be running an FR sweep?

The flat FR sometimes disappoints at first blush, because the typical hump at 40 Hz is gone and is replaced with genuine extension.

I think this sub will grow on you more and more as you get used to the flat FR.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    i might do it tomarrow if i get time. actuley i am likeing the new sound.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    OK - honeymoon's over. Let's she what she'll do. Wick it up Bryan - you're not packing 1000 watts under the hood for nothing.

SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    here we go just ran a sweep at 78db ref at 100hz

10.6---54
    11.2---56
    11.9---60
    12.6---64
    13.3--70
    14.1--73
    15----76
    15.8--78
    16.8--78
    17.8--77
    18.8--74
    20----74
    21.1--71
    22.4--74
    23.7--74
    25.1--74
    26.6--76
    28.2--77
    29.9--77
    31.6--78
    33.5--77
    35.5--80
    37.6--84
    39.8--86
    42.2--87
    47.3--86
    50.1--84
    53.1--81
    56.2--80
    59.6--81
    66.8--83
    70.8--85
    75---85
    79.4--84
    84.1--81
    89.1--79
    94.4--78
    100--78

non corected and ss filter set to 16 hz
    i think i have my subs about 3db hot but they can handle it. lol

in a few weeks i will try for a db drag
    what would be a good piece of music to use. olny problem is the rest of my system lags behind the subs in sheer output. my mains will distort way befor my sub will.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited March 2003
    Options
    then turn your spookers off.
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    You are missing 44.7 and 63.1. I'm going to guess 86 and 82, respectively.

I just plotted your curve in Excel with the correction factors included. That is a very decent looking in-house FR. You have few humps, and the one at 40-50 Hz might sound a tad boomy unless you can tame it with an EQ. The NICE thing is you have NO nulls or drop-outs anywhere - only peaks which are far easier to tame.

Amazing - relative to the 30-20 Hz level (which is VERY flat), you have a gently rising 9 dB PEAK at 16 Hz!! Talk about room gain and NAILING your expected tune point. That's going to provide a REAL wallop on a few DVD's I can think of off hand - like LOTR and U-571!

In fact, you could probably shorten your tubes just a hair and bring that hump up around 20 Hz instead, where it would do even more good.

Good deal! If you want the spreadsheet, it's done and saved already - just ask.

Here is the Word version for all to see - BEHOLD the Stryke Force!

Doc

SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hey Doc is that the HBomb method from excell we taked about months ago? **** I forgot about that... memory is like that last beer, Gone!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    It is Henry - you RULE. I can't forget anything, unfortunately - it's a curse and a blessing.

Whaddya think of THAT FR, eh? Talk about HANGING IN THERE!

My curve has almost the same identical room gain hump way down low, but mine is centered at 25 Hz, since my sub is tuned a bit higher than Bryan's.

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    All three ports open with 20 Hz tune.
    pc+.doc 35.5K

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    This one hangs in there REALLY well to 11 Hz, and can almost be drawn with a ruler.

SVS
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    WOW! I'm real intrested to see what my room response looks like.

When it comes to certain things I know I'll never forget but I get so damn involved at work, the family, friends and with general life stuff that I need that swift kick in the behind to bring back some stuff.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Speaking of plugging ports - try it and see what happens, Bryan. I'm betting that FR will flatten out a bit.

SVS
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    For Room response what do you think of using an HP 204D Oscillator for break in and then doing a freq response with it?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    i was niticeing the wall vibrateing a bit above the sub at around the 44 mark but that is beacues i have not atached the brace behind the wall to stifen it up. if i rase the tuneing point i get a bigger hump and it rools off faster. and the olny way to shorten them is to cut the ports they are permint put togher.

thanks for the spread sheet. i am getting prety good output even below the low pass filter point.

1 nice thing about the av15 is you dont need any gasket around the sub it has a rubber suround that compresses behind and it hides the basket in the front.

when i paint the front of the box i will be covering the subs with paper and tape and using spray paint on the box.becues i snaped so many screws installing the sub
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    For Room response what do you think of using an HP 204D Oscillator for break in and then doing a freq response with it?

HBomb

It's hard to say what your in-room FR will be. With your room being so big and open, you will not see boundary gain to the same extent I do, and your curves might look almost anechoic.

As for break in - a movie will be much more fun. Honestly, the surround "might" loosen up a bit and alter the final FR, but I doubt it will be appreciable. Room acoustics will have a far greater impact so go ahead and run the sweep after you set them up and watch a movie and get your subjective impressions first.

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    i if i rase the tuneing point i get a bigger hump and it rools off faster. and the olny way to shorten them is to cut the ports they are permint put togher.

thanks for the spread sheet. i am getting prety good output even below the low pass filter point.

Yeah, I figured shortening the ports a bit would be too much work.

As it is, you've got a killer sub sonic low end. Stick a nerf ball into one of the ports and run your test again - I'd like to see what it does.

As for output below the SS filter - I think the RS correction factors are really suspect down that low. Your uncorrected curve clearly shows a straight line nosedive after 15 Hz and it's clear the filter is doing it's job. The correction factors don't make it appear that way, though, so I would take that part of your corrected curve with a grain of salt.

SVS
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    the pics are here.
    [IMG]http://C:\Documents and Settings\Bryan\My Documents\My Documents\Picture 2605.jpg[/IMG]

the ports are 6 in wide and the trim is 2 and 3/4 wide
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    the rrim will be black to match the other speakers and the mdfb will be a textured blackish color.

the lines in the dust caps are bareley viseable olny in pics.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    **** kicking my friend - brutal. Time for some moderate SPL drags. Plug in a movie and crank it up - I like Titan AE Ice Ring.

SVS
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Nice work ganzo!

I have to wonder how the the dry wall will stay together?

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    actuley that might be a problem i cut out the botom plate and didknot replace it. i did a test fit of the box and havent been able to remove it. lol i will be adding some later when i bud a shelf over my sub.
  • goingganzo
    edited March 2003
    Options
    hey dr spec what sub did you have befor your svs? i was just wondering your impreshon going form good bass to oh my god crack the drywall bass.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Twin PSW350s stacked in one corner. They belted out the SPL really well, but lacked deep extension. I really liked them actually, and overall output above 40 Hz almost stands up to the SVS. Below 40 Hz, the SVS walks away from the twin 350s big time.

SVS