frontsystem

egodriver
egodriver Posts: 5
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
hi,

i am a german car&hifi fan and i have a few older polkaudio
speakers. for one of them i havent the users guide.
is there anyone how can help me ?
it is the mm2200 system

thanks a lot
Post edited by egodriver on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    i dont think there is a mm2200 system
    you said its older and it starts with the mm(for momo) so its probably going to be either the mm120s(12 in sub) mm100(mightve been mm110s...im not sure...but thats the 10 in sub), the mm465( 6 1/2 in component system), or the mm455s(the 5 1/4 in component system)
    is it one of those?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    mm also stands for mobil monitor series.... they were all black, no markings... there was a tear drop comp set. Thomas knows about them... he'll prolly reply at some point.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • egodriver
    edited March 2003
    hi,

at first thanks a lot for the reply.
    the mm2200 system is approx 10 years old and it is from the mobile monitor series.
    the system consists of a 1.4 inch tweeter and a 2.2 inch mid range. both speakers are in one body.
    also there are two separate x-overs (RF 0600-1 LF and RF 0221-1 HF) per system. you can see the system on the photo.
    i hope when i get the users guide, i can read how to use them.

best wishes
    egodriver
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    yup those are the tear drops -- they're sposed to be killer...

normally i dont give out emails, but i'm sure he wudn' tbe mad in this case -- email trappedunderice@aol.com for help with the mobil monitor's u've got -- he knows his ****.
  • egodriver
    edited March 2003
    hi

thank you for the e-mail address.
    i will send my problem on this address.
    but which ones address is it ? is it the address from thomas ?

what is the meaning of the sentence "sposed to be killer" ?
    and what is the meaning of the word "sposed" ?
    i can't find it in any dictionary.

i have seen that you have your own homepage, but i became
    no connection. what happens ?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2003
    He should have written: Supposed to be killer

Which, means they are supposed to be a very nice set of speakers but he isn't 100% sure because he has never heard them.

I have and you have audio gold on your hands there. I'd combine them with a good dome tweeter and you will be very pleased.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    special thanks goes out to Jstas the translater... hahahaha. :)

and yes the email address was for my friend thomas.

:D

.. . oh and my webpage is still being built. i had one before, then decided that I wanted to give it a whole new look and setup, so I erased what was up, and am still rebuilding.
  • egodriver
    edited March 2003
    hi jstas,

did you also have the mm2200 system ?
    what kind of dome tweeter do you prefer ?
    i had also the DB3000 tweeter from the dynamic balance series
    into my collection. is this a good dome tweeter ?
    what i need now, is the users guide from this mm2200 system.
    i have phoned with lauren schmidt from polk audio one hour ago.
    she will loking for this guide. i hope she will find it !!

hi poweredbydodge,

i will look for your homepage, when you have finished it !
    i'm looking forward to it !!
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by egodriver
    hi jstas,

did you also have the mm2200 system ?
    what kind of dome tweeter do you prefer ?
    i had also the DB3000 tweeter from the dynamic balance series
    into my collection. is this a good dome tweeter ?
    what i need now, is the users guide from this mm2200 system.
    i have phoned with lauren schmidt from polk audio one hour ago.
    she will loking for this guide. i hope she will find it !!

Oh, I don't own the system, I knew a guy who did and they did sound very nice. They were what turned me onto Polk in the first place. I have the dB series speakers all around in my vehicle.

If you still have those db3000 tweeters, they would work perfectly! They are very nice tweeters. Incredibly clear and powerful. I was actually thinking of telling you to find a set but judging by the difficulty you are having finding other parts, I'd imagine that the tweeters would be hard to come by also.

Good luck with it. I hope you can get things worked out. It's worth the effort.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    Jstas -- bad news sorta on my end here...

after finally finishign my doors and mix matching parts to rebuild the dx3065 comp set, i am pissed as hell to say that i think the tweeters are going again. the woofers are holidng strong because i now went and threw a 100 hertz xover on them intead of the 80 that i had been using before.. they seem to play much clearer, dont break up, and i think they're gonna last me a while this time... but the damn tweeter on the psgr side seems like its half way to the grave and hte driver side doesn't sound like its dying but it sounds "colored" or in some way just "not right".

note -- the driver side was a "new" tweeter i got from a guy to replace a blown one... the passenger was the "better" of my two seemingly original ones that i had beaten on... the one woofer is original, the other is an ebay replacement (used but looks like it was babied, and sounds fine) and the xovers are original.

are the DB tweets teh same as the DX.. and if not... do the DB handle more power? i'm pushing around 150 x 2 maybe more... i dont feel like getting the scope out again.. i had set everything up and tested the whole system, sounded ok with the fronts around 130 watts / channel, but i've since made more adjustments and have realized i want that extra power up front... so i'm somewhere between 150 and 180 / channel up there.

any tweeter advice would be great

thanx.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Geez, I don't know if they are the same as the DX or not. I was so disheartened to see the dB series discontinued, I didn't even consider the DX series as a viable replacement.

As far as the tweeters go, do you have them out of phase or anything? Even I wire stuff backwards sometimes. We all do it. Also, do you still have the dB crossovers? Check the settings on those if you do. If they aren't set the same, they can sound like a mess.

Other than that, I don't know. They could be blown. Maybe bi-amp them? 180 watts is a bit much for them I think. They are only rated at 100 watts RMS.

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2003
    hi jstas,

you say that a friend of you have this mm2200 system.
    can you ask him about the users guide. lauren from polk faxed a copy of a prospect, but what i need is the users guide.

in which way did he have installed the mm2200 system ?

you say you would combine the db3000 tweeters together
    with the mm2200 - how ?

i think there is a tweeter in the mm2200 system ? and you would
    still combine them with another tweeter ? why ?
    on which place in the front of the car would you install them ?

hi powered by dodge,

i have written your friend thomas an e-mail. i hope i get an answer ! did you also used db tweeters into your frontsystem ?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    hi jstas,

you say that a friend of you have this mm2200 system.
    can you ask him about the users guide. lauren from polk faxed a copy of a prospect, but what i need is the users guide.

in which way did he have installed the mm2200 system ?

you say you would combine the db3000 tweeters together
    with the mm2200 - how ?

i think there is a tweeter in the mm2200 system ? and you would
    still combine them with another tweeter ? why ?
    on which place in the front of the car would you install them ?

I had a friend. He wenty to law school and moved away. I have not seen him in about 5 years and I don't know how to get in touch with him. I do not even know if he still has the speakers.

He had the MM2200 system installed in the door panels of his 1986 Mustang GT. He did a custom job and you may have to too because of the odd shape of the speaker plate.

The MM2200 speakers have a tweeter but if I remember correctly, the high end response maxed out at about 20 KHz but started dropping off around 18 KHz. Adding another set of tweeters like the dB3000 tweeters would give you that extra high end range to about 22 KHz. It would not only help with the stereo sound stage but it would also make the system sounud a bit brighter. As far as wiring them in, I'd just wire them in series, like the current tweeters are. You could also wire them to a seperate set of channels. Its really up to you. You don't even have to do it, it is just a suggestion. If you are happy with how they sound without the dB3000 tweeters than don't mess with success.

Where would they be installed? I don't know. I do not even know what kind of car you have. It all depends on where you have room or how close to perfect your want your sound stage to be. I have a pick-up truck so all the speakers are pretty close together. Trying to construct a system and place speakers for an adequate sound stage is very difficult and I just didn't want to deal with the hassle. If you can tell me what kind of car you have, where your stock speakers are located and what size the stock speakers are, I could give you a better answer.

• egodriver
    edited March 2003
    Hi jstas,

i will install them into the a-pillar of my mercedes slk !
    in the moment I have installed two polk db6510 midwoofers (dynamic balance series)
    per side in special doorboards. The db3000 tweeters I have installed on the mirror triangle.
    But I think it would be better when I installed them in the a-pillar !? I have tested it together with a friend, and I think I have a better stage when I installed them in the a-pillar !
    In the moment I also have a special crossover for the speakers.
    The complete frontsystem is powered by one Zapco amplifier (Z300S2VX)
    But I want to change it. I planed to use one Zapco only for the db6510 and another zapco
    (maybe the Zapco Z100) for the new mm2200 system.
    And for the subwoofer (one polk ex 802) which I will install in the footwell of the passengers side I have another Zapco Z300S2VX.
    The amplifiers and two capacitors I have installed in the trunk.

One more question, whats your wright name ?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2003
    well i never had db xovers -- have dx xovers... double checked them... they're in phase... bi amping wont help because i like them loud...lol...

me thinx i need to go tweeter hunting somewhere and find me a set of 200 watt tweeters that are sensitive enough and close enough in sound to go with the dx woofers.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by egodriver
    Hi jstas,

i will install them into the a-pillar of my mercedes slk !
    in the moment I have installed two polk db6510 midwoofers (dynamic balance series)
    per side in special doorboards. The db3000 tweeters I have installed on the mirror triangle.
    But I think it would be better when I installed them in the a-pillar !? I have tested it together with a friend, and I think I have a better stage when I installed them in the a-pillar !
    In the moment I also have a special crossover for the speakers.
    The complete frontsystem is powered by one Zapco amplifier (Z300S2VX)
    But I want to change it. I planed to use one Zapco only for the db6510 and another zapco
    (maybe the Zapco Z100) for the new mm2200 system.
    And for the subwoofer (one polk ex 802) which I will install in the footwell of the passengers side I have another Zapco Z300S2VX.
    The amplifiers and two capacitors I have installed in the trunk.

One more question, whats your wright name ?

OK, well, I'm not sure why you want to replace teh dB set with the MM speakers. The dB set is much more capable and sounds much better than the MM set did in my opinion. I have to ask though, will the MM tweeters fit in the A-pillar of a Mercedes SLK? If I remember correctly, they were of substantial size. If you tested it though and they will fit then, by all means put them in the A-pillar. I did not know that you had tried it out already. If you already have an idea of what it sounds like then you know volumes more than I do about your set up. I don't think I could be of any real help with that considered.

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    zapco, mercedes, db's?
    must be nice...
    -Cody