Outlaw 1050

Options
rs159
rs159 Posts: 1,027
edited March 2003 in Electronics
What do you all think? Looks like a sweet deal to me, but there are a few things I can't stop thinking about.

Pros:
1) Adjustable low pass filter from 60 - 200hz (yay! Great for big speakers that can't quite handle the super low bass)
2) Simple. Doesn't have that "Hmm... let's make a feature list and then get a three year old to place the buttons" look
3) http://goodsound.com/equipment/outlaw_1050_receiver.htm
4) $499

Cons:
1) No Pro-Logic II
2) No rear center on DTS soundtracks (too much processing)

I could make a bigger list, but that's just what I care about. I actually listen to a lot more music than movies, but I feel like the typical male "mine has this and yours doesn't" attitude would drive me crazy. But then I don't know. Maybe hearing it would make that all go away.

I can't go much higher than $500 BTW.
Post edited by rs159 on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    Options
    It says 6.1, you say no rear center?? why is that?
    prologic 2 isn't that big a deal for most people, but if you plan to use it alot then ok,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • rs159
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    It says 6.1, you say no rear center?? why is that?
    prologic 2 isn't that big a deal for most people, but if you plan to use it alot then ok,

from outlaw audio site:
    "Q. Will the Surround 6.1 mode work with DTS soundtracks?
    A. Unfortunately, no. The high level of processing required to decode DTS signals prevents us from offering the Surround 6.1 mode in conjunction with DTS. However, if you have a DVD player with built-in DTS processing, you may experience the Surround 6.1 mode by using the player's decoder and connecting it to the 1050 using the 5.1 Direct inputs."

It'l play 6.1, just not DTS 6.1

I had a dvd player that could be hooked up using analog, but it went belly up about 2 weeks ago :( :mad: Kinda budget minded here, so laying down another 4-500 dollars for an excellent dvd player is out of the question. I still have DVD player w/ only digital and stereo analog out, so all processing must be done in the receiver. I know most of this is minutia for a music lover, but I do watch movies about 2-3 times a week, and like I said "mine has this and yours doesn't" can drive me crazy sometimes.
  • faster100
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Huh, it has 6.1 mode but not for DTS?? I really am curious what the difference is?? I take it the receiver doesn't decode DTS then but offers 6 channels of sound... Far as the dolby pro 2, thats totally up to you if you will use it, My receiver doesnt have it and it would have been the next one up just to get that option and i opted out, at a grand extra for that and some minor extra's i kept what i have.. It's nice to have i suppose but i would much rather have the DTS,DTS es in a receiver.. specially if your gonna be haveing 6 channels and watching current DVD's...

See i wasn't trying to stomp your question :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited March 2003
    Options
    sounds more like a 2 channel rig with 4 extra channels, i just read the ad for the 1050, the power keeps going down as you hook up more speakers, This just doesn't sound like a total winner to me.. i would keep searching... many good HT/music receivers for 500 bucks
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The Outlaw 1050 may be a very good $500 investment. It has received a couple of awards and recognitions for best in its class. (Won Stereophile Guide to Home Theater Editors Choice Gold Award in 2002). Here are a couple more reviews in addition to the Good Sound review.

Home Theater Sound

Perfect Vision

It gets pretty good reviews at Audio Review

It may be getting a little dated and they may be coming out with a replacement model soon. The only reason I went with a Denon for a little less was the fact that the 1050 does not have DPL II and I have a very large collection of VHS tapes that my kids still watch. Even then I was reluctant not to get it. A nice feature that it has that many in this class do not is a full set of preouts if you want to add bigger amps down the road. Outlaw's policy is they will take it back...no questions asked...for 30 days. You would be out shipping. It is worth a consideration.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • faster100
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Outlaw Audio says that with two-channels driven, the 1050 can output 70Wpc. With three-channels driven, the power rating goes down a tad to 65Wpc (and presumably lower with all six-channels driven simultaneously).

Why is this?? and the wattage seems on the low side..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • rs159
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Actual quotes from the Outlaw Audio forum:
    "I have very inefficient (86dB) speakers and the 1050 drives them just fine. I seem to have to set the displayed volume higher than everyone else, but I haven't had any problem with doing that. It still will play a lot louder than I can stand for more than a short period of time."

"Hear! Hear!, come on in, I just got mine the other day, (new stock) and it is great! Better than most receivers under 2K..It's sounds like alot more than 65 watts"

"I'm not sure about whether it would qualify as a "high current" receiver, but the general concensus around here is that the 1050's 65WPC is the match for most any mass-market receiver rated up to 100W (including Denon and Onkyo, I think)."

"While I myself, have no experience with paradigm speakers, it does seem to be one of the more popular brands around here. I'm running NHT supertwo's that have a very low sensitivity and my 1050 does just fine.
    As has been said before, the amp section of the 1050 is alot more powerful than its 65-watt rating. I'm sure it will have no problem driving your speakers.
    Hope this helps."

The only post (that I looked at) that said it is not enough power was saying that it's probably not enough to power a passive sub :rolleyes:
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2003
    Options
    The 1050 is rated 65wpc ALL channels driven. One of the few receivers to quote their power this way. Most are with two and some only one. I forget which one this was (Onkyo maybe) but one of the mags did a test on an 85 wpc rated amp and the come up with less than 30wpc on their bench test. One review I read a while back said the Outlaw actually exceeded their rating on a bench test. The prepros and receivers have their detractors but I have rarely seen were the Outlaw amps have received anything but high praise.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • faster100
    edited March 2003
    Options
    ok well then, get the outlaw then
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs