amp help?

technobass
technobass Posts: 25
edited March 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
is the volfenhag zx7140 a powerful enough amp to push two gnx12's?
Steevo a.k.a. DJ Nostalgia
Post edited by technobass on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    it's a 500w two channel two ohm stable amp (2 x 250 @ 2 ohms) i can't find any more wattage related info on it...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2003
    yeah
    you should probably turn the gain down though
    250 in a 175w sub is a little much
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    get dual 4 ohm GNX's and then pray -- volfenhag is pretty ****.... it'll do a rated 500 x 1 bridged... but since its volfenhag that's probably 200 x 1. bridge it -- pray.

or spend u're money on somethign worth while.. two GNX 12's dual 4 ohm... and a RF Power 351M -- 350 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged... that would do a good job, and the amp is only 250 retail -- prolly150 - 175 internet / ebay.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • technobass
    technobass Posts: 25
    edited March 2003
    see the amp was free from my girlfriend and she said it worked good with her old setup but she was only runnin one sub...and since i wanna run two gnx12's (single coil...already have 'em) i was wonderin if it'd do an ok job....and how would i wire a two channel amp like that (and do amps have an rms rating?)
    Steevo a.k.a. DJ Nostalgia
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2003
    yes, amps do have an rms rating... whether the 250 x 2 @ 2 ohms u gave us is rms or max i do not know -- only the owners manual or volfenhag's website would have that -- might be written on back of amp maybe.

far as those subs and that amp.

ok.. u've got single 4 ohm coil subs.... which means u cannot run the amp bridged so as to get the same signal through both speakers because u'd be down to a 2 ohm load and prolly fry the amp... its only 4 ohm stable in stereo (i know this because its only 2 ohm stable in stereo, if it were 1 ohm stable stereo, it'd be 2 ohm stable bridged).

so... u'll have to run stereo, which means u're left sub may get slightly difft signal thatn u're right --- not a problem... i run mine like that by choice ... u just have to be sure of one thing... that you mount the subs in a box that has a divider wall in it (if u do one box for the two of them) so that they have separate chambers.. that way they dont interfere with each other (if it was a mono or bridged amp u wouldn' thave to worry so much about that cuz it would be the same signal, but L and R signal is slightly difft so you'll have to make sure u're box has a divider in it)... or just build two separate boxes. eitehr choice will do fine.

far as power... if that's 250 x 2 at 2 ohms... i am just guessing what it would be at 4 ohms x 2... maybe 140 - 145? maybe more maybe less depending on how the amp is designed... like what the goal of the designer was... but if it really is 140 - 145 x 2 then that should be just about enough to get the GNX's moving respectably. Normally I'd **** about a) only 150 w each [175 - 200 would be more ideal] and b) Volfenhag, but free is free, and u cant beat free.. u can always get a difft amp in a year or two or whatever if u dont like it.. and if u do like it.. then good... cuz free kicks ****.

if u just recently bought the subs, and could possibly return them for the dual 4 ohm coil gnx, then do so.. cuz then u can bridge the amp and run the subs wired in series / parallel and u'll get the full rated 500 x 1 bridged (250 per sub)... in which case u'd just turn the gain down a hair and be "perfect"... that is assuming the Volfenhag actually puts out that 250 x 2 @ 2 ohms / 500 x 1 bridged to 4... which is up for debate.

if u cant swap out the subs, then just run it stereo --u'll get that 140 - 150 roughly... should sound fine... just be sure on separate chambers (unless your head unit has a dedicated "subwoofer" output that mixes the left and right and sends "mono" to each channel so that they're equal... i know many decent decks have this feature standard... if u have it, and u have it engaged, then u do not need to have a partition in th ebox because the signal will be the same... just a note though -- the practice of putting partitions in boxes is a good idea in general... the higher the power u use, even if u've got it bridged or mono, the more stress placed on woofer cones and what not... and if u get 500 + watt subs, u'll find that u should partition no matter what).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • soyster89
    soyster89 Posts: 6
    edited March 2003
    This is basically the same problem PoweredByDodge said I would have by running a Punch 301S amp with those very same subs. He said I would fry my amp, so I am getting a punch 301M in it's place. I've talked to a few other people about this and they seem to think that while there is a possibility the amp could fry, it probably wouldn't happen. But, since I know virtually nothing, I tend to listen to people who seem to know what they're talking about. lol

Thanks again PBD