Help with Harman/Kardon

Options
shack
shack Posts: 11,154
edited March 2003 in Electronics
I'm looking at a Harman/Kardon stereo receiver. I have heard mixed reviews about their build quality and reliability. I'm still searching for a reasonably priced stereo receiver and I do not want to go used. I've tried a NAD C320BEE integrated and loved the sound but it was not flexible enough for what I wanted to do, I need at least an A/B speaker connection, phono preamp, and sub out. I've considered the Denon DRA-685 which is a nice piece of equipment but it almost has too many bells and whistles. (Video ins - multiroom multi function, ect.) I already have a Denon A/V receiver and I am very pleased with it. I've also considered the NAD C370 integrated. I've heard it with a set of Maggies and it is a beast (but a little more than I want to spend just now). I am just looking at the alternatives in the $400 ± range.

Here is the HK I'm considering: Harman/Kardon HK 3475

HK3475.jpg
And here are the specs:

Audio
Stereo Mode

- Continuous Average Power (FTC) Per Channel 110 Watts per channel, 20Hz – 20kHz @ <0.07% THD, both channels driven into 8 ohms; 140 watts per channel, 20Hz – 20kHz @ <0.2% THD, both channels driven into 4 ohms
- Input Sensitivity/Impedance Linear (High-Level) 200mV/47k Ohms
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF-A) 95dB
- Frequency Response at 1W (+0dB,–3dB) 10Hz – 110kHz
- High Instantaneous Current Capability (HCC) ±45 Amps
- Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM) Unmeasurable
- Rise Time 16 µsec
- Slew Rate 40V/µsec

General
- Power Requirement AC 120V/60Hz
- Power Consumption 72 Watts idle, 332 Watts maximum (both channels driven)
- Dimensions (H x W x D) 6.1" x 17.4" x 16.3" (Weight 26.8 lb ()

This is a pretty basic stereo receiver. In addition to the features I want, this unit also has a set of preouts if I decide to later go with a separate 2 channel amp for more power. I've heard the Harman/Kardon AV receivers and they have a very nice sound and seem to have good power for their rating. I can pick this one up for less than $300 new "A" stock. My main concern is with reliability. Does anyone have any history with H/K?

Thanks, shack
"Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
Post edited by shack on

Comments

• wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I've been real happy with the two products I've owned. The only problem I had with an AVR7000 was my own fault (shoved it into an entertainment center with insufficient airflow).

I like them not only for their nice, warm sound but also for the fact that they put their money into the amps, not cheesy bells, whistles and 4000 different sound fields. They're also one of a few manufacturers brave enough to rate at full bandwidth with all channels driven simultaneously.
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited February 2003
    Options
    When I first got my h/k320 everything worked fine for the first month. Lightning struck close to the house and after that the h/k would shut down every few minutes (no surge protector). I took it back to CC and they replaced it without any questions, and purchased a Monster Power HTS700 (learned my lesson!).

I’ve hade the new h/k for about one year now. Three times it has shut down for no apparent reason. Turn it back on and it works fine. I don’t know why it does this, but I am happy with the sound, looks, ease of use, connections, etc. Some day soon I will get a separate amp (it does have amp outs) and use the k/k as a pre, until I can afford a real one. I don’t know if I would get another h/k or if I can recommend it, but I remember reading on Club Polk that h/k has fixed the shut down problem. As I said, other than the three times it shut down, I do like it a lot.

The rated 55 wpc on the h/k320 seems low, but it will rock with a distinctive warm sound! Sounds more like 100 wpc to me IMO.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Marantz also makes a stereo receiver, the SR4320 (?), replacing the recently discontinued SR4120. The 4120 was only rated at about 55-60 watts at 8 ohms, but I think that the power was rated honestly. The newer one probably has the same power, but I think that in order to compete with the watts exaggeration madness, they've rated it at 80 X 2 (if I remember correctly, the online owners manual, not the online brief spec sheet, rated the power of the new one at 40-20k hz, instead of 20-20k. I think that both have the preout & phono in, but the new one has more bells & whistles. 3-yr warranty. Not trying to tell you what to do, but can't you use spkr level connections for sub if need be?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have the HK AVR 310 for 1.5 yrs and it has been working fine since day one and it does a great job for my HT set up!

dc.:D
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I had an H/K AV receiver but switched to a Denon and have never looked back. When I had the H/K I needed to adjust the treble and bass to get the sound I wanted. With the Denon tone defeat is on and sounds great.

I can't say I've heard H/K's stereo receivers. If your happy with your Denon why not go with another Denon? In the end, it all depends on how you like the component.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited February 2003
    Options
    "High Instantaneous Current Capability (HCC) ±45 Amps"

Can anyone explain what this means and is it something to look for on other manufacturer's specs. ? eg. rotel , anthem ...

A friend just recently upgraded his receiver to the 525 model over the 320 and says the higher current makes a difference.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Mangata572: your receiver MOST LIKELY shuts off because it is overheated and the protection circuit is activated. This used to happen on my JVC sometimes, then I blew it up... At least it was fixed under warranty. If its got insufficient airflow, or if you like movies really loud for a long time, I would move it or put a fan by it or something.

As for Shack and the Harman: Not sure why you arent keen on used, but if factory remanufactured doesn't turn you off, head over to harmanaudio.com and pick yourself up a 3470 for $188, as opposed to original $400. The 3475 only came out a few months ago, and I dont think it is worth more than double the price of the 3470.
  • shack
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks all for the inputs.

Ceruleance - I am not one to buy used audio gear unless I can see and hear it. When someone sells something it is for a reason. Many times it is because they are upgrading but sometimes you could be buying someone elses problems. I know you can get great deals but I tend to keep what I buy for a long time. I have no problem buying factory refurbished. That may be one of the best deals going. Typically all of the bugs have been found and the unit is as good if not better than a new factory unit. Thank for the heads up for 3470 at HA. I have been there already and that is a consideration. I bought my JBL N26 speakers for my deck from Harman Audio and they are good to work with.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • shack
    edited February 2003
    Options
    ATC - Since you owned this unit (HK 3470 and HK 3475 are basically the same unit) would you care to give a couple of more observations on issues?

Tuner - How well does it work? I don't use a tuner a lot but this is one of the reasons to by a receiver vs an integrated or separates.

Remote - How well does it work? Did you use the learning function? I have seen were some have had problems with the remote accurately adjusting volume levels. ie: releasing the volume button does not stop the motorized volume control making it difficult to adjust sound levels.

Headphone jack - If you used it, was it ok?

Sound - Compared to the other units you have used..Rotel, Carver.. how would you describe the HK sound? Colored...warm...detailed..etc?

Thanks for your input on the quality of the amps which is paramount. If you have any thoughts on these other items it will be appreciated.

• shack
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks ATC

• shack
    edited February 2003
    Options
    posted by Meestercleef
    Not trying to tell you what to do, but can't you use spkr level connections for sub if need be?

The answer is yes but that is not my preferred method in a 2 channel system. I don't want to limit my mains with the crossover in the sub. Speaker level works ok with small sub/sat systems but one of speakers that will be in this system is a set of Large Advents that will go pretty low. If I choose to use a sub I don't want to limit the lower end of the Advents or any other speaker I may hook up.

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Found this long review of 3470

www.zero-distortion.com/tests/hk3470/hk3470.htm

I suspect the reviewer is pickier than I am. I expect that I could be quite happy with it driving a pr of nice-sounding 4-ohm bookshelfs w/mid-80's sensitivity & recommended min of 20 wpc. But I do think it's an interesting review.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I listened to the HK's at the store and found that the 7000 sounded much better than the rest of the line. I did not catch your budget but the 8000 is half price at many stores. check it out if you can spend $1200. If you do you will blow the house down with great polk speakers. :-)
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Shack, not sure what you have in terms of a sub, but I know mine will allow you to turn off the high pass filter to the speakers so that they get the full signal. Maybe check your owner's manual or take a closer look at the back panel.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I had gotten a suggestion one time to run your main wires to the sub inputs and just double up the wires back out to your mains, so basically one set go's to the inputs and like bi-wire, run a set from your main speakers into the sub inputs as well, not the sub outputs.. you get your sub driven and your mains aren't on a crossover in the sub...... just my 2 cents
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp