Anybody ever heard of Diesel Audio?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited February 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Thier stuff is ugly as sin but, if the specs sheets can be believed, the post some decent numbers. Especially for teh prices I have been seeing them for. Most of thier amps at rated at less than .3% THD at 4 ohms and less than 5% THD at 2 ohms. That right there is impressive in itself.

So, anybody heard anything about them? The site says they been around for 10 years now. I never heard of them though.

Diesel Audio
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Most of thier amps at rated at less than .3% THD at 4 ohms and less than 5% THD at 2 ohms. That right there is impressive in itself.

well... i was gonna say somethin but i looked at the site to check out the product cuz i thought maybe these were like bass amps with sick high amounts of power like 750 x 2 at 4 ohms with less than 0.3% thd... which would be fine... cuz they serve their purpose...

but i'll proceed with what i was gonna say ... based on an example like the NS 7004...

"Total channel output power:
    60W x 4CH @ 2 ohms (240W) less than 0.5% THD
    50W x 4CH @ 4 ohms (200W) less than 0.3% THD
    Bridged 120W x 2 CH @ 4 ohms "

and thats a 14.4 v rating.

being an amp for highs, that's really not great at all... anything over 0.1% for highs is really pushing the "bad" mark pretty hard.

most good moderate priced amps for highs are 0.05% thd or less.... respectable ones at moderate prices being like 0.1% of less.

that 50 x 4 at 4 with .3 is like the same as a 35 x 4 with 0.05% .. by the time the 35 x 4 is at .3% clip, its doin well over its rated power.

compare that with somethin like an RF punch 301X --
    14.4v rated

0.05% thd into 4 ohms and 40 x 4... retails like 225 bucks.

i gotta admit tho - their stuff LOOKS nice -- its got a good feel to it... sleek, yet tough lookin. gotta love the half naked girl on the tv monitor....lolol.

the thing that really got me on the "thd" bandwagon was when i a guy showed me test results for a USAmps 1000A 2 channel amp.

it was rated like 1000 x 1 at 4 ohms bridged with like some pitiful small distortion like 0.005 or 0.003% or less... i wish i could pull it up by the site is down... anywho -- at the same clip as one of my 81000D's ( 1.5%) it was doing in the ballpark of 1400 watts. now my 81000d's only do like 1250 @ 1.5% distortion. the argument basically was that a good class AB amp with very low THD could well out-do a class D amp with high distortion head to head on power and clarity -- beating the D by almost 200 watts and still being slightly cleaner won me over. had i the $$ i'd have switched amps by now.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    ...just curious -- whats the going rate...u wre sayin they were very cheap...

if they're cheap enough, then the "blah" thd can be over looked in favor of economics...

whats that NS 700 at?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2003
    I think they are D-class amps. That's why they looked so impressive. .5% THD is like standard for D-class at 4 ohms. .3% for a D-class at 4 ohms is pretty nice and .5% at 2 ohms is definitely nice. If they are D-class. If they are A/B then I agree, that is miserable.

As far as pricing, I have seen them at carstereotime.com for as low as 95 bucks. Double that and you have retail prices. Then again, I don't think I would throw 60 watts per channel at a tweeter. I rarely go above 40 watts because tweeters are capable of playing considerable louder than a woofer or sub at the same power levels. Makes things unbalanced, screechy and harsh in my opinion. For a pair or 6x9's in something like a Jeep though, that kind of amp might work out. Either that or a pair of 8 inch subs. You could always bridge the amp too.

I don't know anything about them though. I just noticed them because carstereotime.com is carrying them now.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    does class D run full range? I had thought that they were only good from like 0- to 200 hertz. Class T was sposed to be the new deal that ran like full range... ? who knows -- new **** every day man. i cant keep up w/ it. ;)