Cables/Interconnects

Options
jones12
jones12 Posts: 20
edited February 2003 in Electronics
I am using Acoustic Research Pro Series II cables throughout my systems. This includes 2 component cables, S-video, optical cables & audio cables. After being told by rep. from Best Buy, Circuit City & a local store Bjorn's, that Monster cables are far better quality cables. Wondering if it's time for a changes. Monster higher prices($15 to $25) has always kept me away. Is this a case of get what you pay for, or are the AR cables great quality cables at bargin price. Has anyone compared Monster cables to AR Pro II series or AR Master series cables.
TV-Samsung HLN5065W DLP
Denon AVR-1803
Denon 2910 dvd player
Sony CE-345 CD Player
Philips CDR770 CD recorder
Center-CSI30
Fronts-rti38
Surrounds-RM6200
Sub-PSW202
Post edited by jones12 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Are you asking if a cable that is $15 to $25 more is a better cable or is that the actual price of the cable?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jones12
    jones12 Posts: 20
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The Monster cables are about $15 to $25 more than the AR cables depending on the cables.
    TV-Samsung HLN5065W DLP
    Denon AVR-1803
    Denon 2910 dvd player
    Sony CE-345 CD Player
    Philips CDR770 CD recorder
    Center-CSI30
    Fronts-rti38
    Surrounds-RM6200
    Sub-PSW202
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    Options
    up to you but I think you would be hard pressed to hear a difference. If you are unhappy with the way it sounds, by all means, seek other alternatives. I'm not saying Monster is bad but I also think that a lot of Monster is hype. That's MY opinion though.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Keep your money in your pocket.
    If you do buy the Monster cables make sure you can take them back for a full refund if you don't feel they are worth the extra cash.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited February 2003
    Options
    IMHO, cables in the same price point are going to be close to each other in performance, but one cable may work better with your gear than another. That's half the fun with this hobby, messing around to find the best setup for your ears. Now, cables that cost $1700.00 are going to blow away cables that cost $500.00, at least in my experience. One way to get better cables for less is to buy them used, check out www.usedcables.com or www.audiogon.com.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk