I Need Some Help

Tiffdogg187
Tiffdogg187 Posts: 1
edited February 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
WELL HERE WE GO, I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT CAR AUDIO SO ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. I'VE GOT A 93 CHEVY BLAZER 4 DOOR - NOW THE SYSTEM I'M WORKING WITH IS A ALPINE CDA-7893 POLK GXR46'S IN THE FRONT POLK EX365'S IN THE BACK AND TWO MM 12'S, NONE OF IT IS INSTALLED YET THOUGH, I WAS GONNA GET THE MTX 81000D FOR MY SUBS AND THE MTX 6304 FOR MY HIGH'S ( I CAN GET A REALLY GOOD DEAL ON THEM AT WORK) BUT I HEARD THERE WAS A RECALL ON THE SUBS SHOULD I GO WITH SOMETHING ELSE, AND ARE THOSE AMPS OVER KILL? MY NEXT QUESTION IS HOW MANY CAPACITORS AM I GOING TO NEED. THANKS GUYS
Post edited by Tiffdogg187 on

Comments

• CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited February 2003
    Capacitors? I would reccomend using at least a 2 farad on the MTX8100D. A 1 Farad cap should be sufficient for the MTX 6304/
    Recall? Sorry. Cant help you there.
    Chris
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    you need a 1.0 farad capacitor for every 1000 watts of power
    i got a 1farad rockford fosgate for 100 at www.ikesound.com
    i think it ikesound....might have been www.sounddomain.com
    cheapest i could find
    as for the recall
    if they hit the grilles theyre bad
    if theyre not theyre ok
    if you want to make sure call polk
    -Cody
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited February 2003
    Never hurts to have more capacitance than you need.
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    re caps -- dont go putting a cap in front of each amp... add up your rms.. if youre running like say 65 x 4 and 1200 x 1 , you'll get like 1500 rms... 1 farad per 750 / 1000 is a good shot... so 2 caps total will do the job... scour ebay for them ... search lightning audio or Mobile Authority and you'll find 1 farad caps as low as 40 bucks new in package -- some dont have labels... dont worry about it... a cap is a cap.

re amp -- the 81000D is great for 2 momo's... so is an RF bd1000.1 or other similar 1100 - 1200 watt 2 ohm stable mono amp.

re 6304 -- dude... don't buy that amp. it's doo doo. know how most mtx amps come out of the box iwth a birth sheet that shows that their 12 volt power is actually close to the 14.4 volt power? well the 6304 comes outa the box at like 50 x 4 or 60 x 4... not quite the 90 x 4 u'd be hoping for. to boot... it heats up like a mother f*****... i've never owned an amp that got so hot, so fast... and that was in 4 channel stereo -- i' d hate to see what it would do bridged... in addition, the thd rating on the 6304 is 0.3% ... that's high... u want 0.1% or less (pref 0.05 but .1 will do). Mtx does make a good amp for highs - dont get me wrong.. but its not hte 6304... the old Thunder 204 was rated 25 x 4 but came out of the box at like 50 - 55 x 4 with noticeably less distortion than the 6304... ideally if u can get ahold of a 204... do so.. if not.. a 4244 will give a much more stable, reliable, "not worried its gonna fry" performance. Two 4202's would do the same job too.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • CPHILHOWER
    edited February 2003
    PBD, I have a 2 Farad cap on my BD500. Used to be a Punch 800.2. Also, I have a 1 Farad cap on my Punch 600.4. Are you saying its not good to Cap each amp?
    Chris
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    no no, dont get mer wrong... its not bad at all.... its just that it's (to me) wasted energy (like human effort energy not power supply energy)... putting a cap on each amp's pwoer lead is the same as having a bank of say 2 or 3 or whatever caps.. and then running your short power line to each amp off of them (liek a distro block)... cuz in fact your BD500 mighta been suckin power off the other amp's cap as well as its own two -- or visa versa... power is power, wherever it comes from :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge